UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice on large area tiling - movement joints and back buttering . in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Davesax

Hi guys
Im tiling a couple of big jobs soon , a 95 and a 200 meter . Im in Australia bit the aus site is very low on traffic , so thought i could ask here to help a fellow pommie out .
Ive a couple of questiOns , one is on movement joints- do you follow the standards - where in the floor do you put one and do you make sure the joint is free of adhesive and grout ?
The other question is about back buttering floor tiles - do you always do this regardless of tile type ?
Any help is really appreciated , thanks and g'day
Dave

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Hi Dave, without knowing the layout of the floor is difficult to say exactly where I'd put them. I do a lot of large commercial floors and quite often there are expansions in the substrate that have to be mirrored in the tiles. Some contractors I work for specify an expansion joint every 6 metres in each direction and some say 7 or 8. I think British standard is actually slightly higher than this though. If there aren't expansions in the substrate to follow then I'd personally split the floors into even bays either in half, quarters, sixths etc....
i'd always run an expansion if there was a change of substrate too like screed/concrete to wood.
with regards to the tiles I always back skim them to fill in any small voids in the tile:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice on large area tiling - movement joints and back buttering . in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi first timer to tile, im getting all my prep work and tools. My question is will the self...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.