UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice on lathe and plaster substrate for shower please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Davesax

The substrate around the bath and ppower shower area is lathe and plaster which has been painted with waterproof paint apparently . There are also 2x 100 mm tile around the bath .
I knocked the wall in various places to test for solidity and it seems very sound .
I have also recommended tanking for the power shower area .

1. Can I tank straight onto the paint?
2. How should I prepare the rest of the wall for tiling or can it be tiled straight on?
3. Should I just tile over the bath tiles over the bath - ( only 3 mm off the wall ) to avoid having to take them off and disturb the substrate?

Any advice is much appreciate , please excuse the rookie!!

Thanks

D

Davesax

hi davesax, i would advise you remove the paint first before tiling and i would also be keen to remove those tiles as well first ,what kind of tiles are you planning on fixing to the walls dave?

they're choosing the tiles , small ceramics no bigger than 200 x 200's. It does seem quite solid , don't want to have to remove it . Can I wire brush the paint ? Is there a better way to remove it.
Thanks again

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hiya,im not convinced a hand held wire brush will be hard enough ive tried this a few times but it never seems to work,,if you look on here at trade tilers website he sells a wire brush head for around 6 pounds that fits onto an angle grinder,,i use these and lightly touch the walls and it removes the paint..use dust masks and goggles though as its messy and open any windows too. dont be to oharsh with it or ot will rip the plaster to peices

D

Davesax

and me.......:thumbsup:

I appreciate your advice - i'm a little concerened about telling my customer that i need to rip the wall back to the stud work . It's a solid wall with no signs of wear or crumbling . I'm quite confident that once the paint is removed and with tanking applied , it will hold tiles no problem .

What would be the best way of removing the paint with minimum damage?

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
I appreciate your advice - i'm a little concerened about telling my customer that i need to rip the wall back to the stud work . It's a solid wall with no signs of wear or crumbling . I'm quite confident that once the paint is removed and with tanking applied , it will hold tiles no problem .

What would be the best way of removing the paint with minimum damage?

the best and nicest way to do the job would be to rip it off and re board it,,but i agree with you davesax,if its solid i dont see a problem with it especially since your only doing round a bath and a splashback its going to add a big expense on which may well lose you a job,if it was unsafe id advise you to rip out,,but as you say its solid i think it should be okay

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
Take the lathe and plaster off completely - Do it right - do it once. Replace with either Hardie Bb or my preferance is Lux boards - there's your tanking and sound wall all in one.

Scrabbling paint with a wire brush just is not good enough - Sorry to be blunt - Dinners on the table !

Richard

so paint removal isnt acceptable if we have a sound wall underneath?

R

Richard Edwards

Hello Kilty

Back from Dinner - Torbay Sole and Stir Fry -

Yes of course its OK to remove all paint and over tile if genuinely sound. However if work out the hours spent and all the mess to remove paint off a lathe and plaster wall, Then tank it - with either membrane Ditra / Butech or similar and the costs invloved - compare that with removal of the lathe and plaster and replacement with Lux / Hardie BB - I know which route I would choose - every time

Thats it - Supper awaits

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice on lathe and plaster substrate for shower please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Seems alot of talk that 20kg per mtr2 is the max weight limit for plaster. Few questions 1. its...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.