Discuss Advice on Terror-cotta!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Here to learn!

Terracotta is a new beast to me! :yikes:

Im confident about laying it but have heard a few horror stories with regards to sealing it....

The customer isn't fussed about a matt or gloss finish, so I would like to keep it as simple as poss. With this in mind, is it a matter of:

(1) laying the tiles as normal with stone on concrete
(2) Im then thinking - treat the tiles with Lithofin Stain Stop Natural stone sealer and impregnator
(3) Grout after (Bal superflex wide joint)

Now it cant be that easy, Ive heard stories of combustion etc,.....

I appreciate the floor will need more treatment in the years to come but I am concerned only with the current installation for the moment.

Guys, I really appreciate your time and expert advice on this.

I guess we I mean to say is Im after a straight forward process and the most user friendly sealer!?

Thanks again for your time & advice / recomendations :thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

If you are 'Here to Learn' then here is my tried and trusted method of fixing Terracotta.

1. Dust off any powder from surface of the tiles with a dry cloth.(keep tiles dry)
2. Usng 50:50 of white spirit:bolied linseed oil and a large 4inch soft paint brush coat the tiles and allow to dry.
3. Using 25:75 mix as above for 2nd coat at right angles to 1st coat.
4. Fix tiles when dry using adhesive suitable for subfloor keeping surface clean (use damp sponge).
5. Grout using wide joint sandstone or 3:1 soft sand:cement. (thoroughly clean off surface).
6. When tiles are spotless and completely dry - minimum 24 hours - final coat of boiled linseed oil. At this stage and 2 previous sealing stages if any oil lays on the surface for more than 10 mins wipe off with white spirit.
7. Leave the floor to completely dry - 2 days minimun - then using a lambs wool pad and electric floor polisher, apply a generous coat of Johnson Traffic Wax Natural.

Caution - boiled linseed oil on rags can self combust.

Terracotta is the perfect example of how poor knowledge can ruin a beautiful product.

Enjoy your project however you attempt to complete it.

B

Brinkley

always always seal before youlay as terracotta sucks up moisture like anything i think its the high salt content but while laying if you havent sealed you will find your rock hard addy on the tiles and in the process of scraping this off you will defo scratch the tile so always seal terracotta before laying and then before grouting and then after grouting what will determine in how many times sealing is needed is basicaly your opinion read the sealer instructions i have only ever known boiled linseed oil on terras but wait for manufacturers time advice they always state longer then needed but definately stick to timescale suggested .IThen try a water test and if water rolls off in beads then your sealer has worked keep an off cut and try the water test after you have sealed and waited till manufacturers time scale advice on every seal seriously sounds like a lot of time but if you get it wrong you get it wrong big time .We can only help you verbally and sometimes this is not enough thats why most of us here are in the trade and this is our living but good luck

Reply to Advice on Terror-cotta!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, just after a bit of advice. I've just had some 15mm limestone tiles fitted in my...
Replies
Views
Hey guys! I am in need of some solid advice. I just had some terracotta tiles installed. It had...
Replies
Views
Reflow
R
A
Hi everyone. Apologies in advance if this post is a little long winded. Couple of years ago, a...
Replies
Views
WetSaw
W
Hi all, got a 70sqr mtr floor to do in tumbled limestone in sizes 1000mmx600 900x600 800x600...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
B
Hello All, First time posting but hoping the wealth of experience on here will be able to point...
Replies
Views
barrica
B

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Advice on Terror-cotta!!!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.