UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice on tile trim on window sill in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Q

quantasm

Hello,

I'm just setting out the plan to tile my bathroom and would like some advice on these two things....

1. I will be tiling around the window sill and am considering using quadrant tile trim around the window. On the window sill I would lay the trim horizontally across the sill so that the back of the trim is stuck with adhesive to the top of the sill edge. The trim will overhang the sill edge slightly to be flush with the vertical wall tiles. My questions are, when cutting tiles for the vertical wall do I leave a grout line space between the tile edge and the plastic trim overhanging the sill? Does grout stick and create a seal on plastic trim? The basin is directly underneath the sill so any join needs to be splashproof and will be highly visible. An alternative would be just to overhang the sill tile without trim and grout but just wanted to know if the trim which creates a plastic barrier between the two tile edges cause a problem when grouting or sealing?

2. When entering the bathroom the far wall (the first one you see) has the window, window sill, basin and toilet. I can either centre the tiles based on the window sill or the full wall. I'm planning to centre on the window sill as it's the focus but that leaves the left corner with a cut tile of 220mm and the right corner with 90mm (based on 400mm tiles). If I evened the corners then the window sill will have uneven cuts at each side. My preference is to centre the window sill but would appreciate any advice on this?

Many Thanks
Q

Re Q1, I've done it both ways. I've sit the trim onto the tile and I've also left a grout line between, dependant on what has been asked for, either way will be fine as at worse your only going to get a splash of water.

Re Q2 is the basin centre of the window, if yes then I would do as you say, even if it weren't I would still probably go with what your proposing.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Definately centre t the window. How does the window wall work out if you adjust by half a tile? I.E rather than having a grout line centre have the centre line running through the centre of a fall tile. If that makes sense.
Going by what you posted that would proberbly leave 20mm in one corner and 290mm the other. The 20mm would then be an issue. However, i'd expect a 400mm square tile to be 9-12mm in thickness, plus you bed of adhesive would narrow this considerably leaving a couple of mm's in the corner, your silicone bead should cover this, and it's advisable/good practie to leave a couple of mm's anyway and not cut your tile tight to the corners anyway.

C

charlie1

Hi quantasim, re issue 1, I don't know what your tiling skills are but believe me, unless you are an experienced tiler, you will have a maire trying to tackle tiling round a window, there are loads of things to consider but I will stick to the point. I would fit a slightly thicker trim (1mm thicker) and fit the trim back vertical so that the trim will slighly overhang and slightly cover the face of your tiles, hope u follow. This will hide any uneven cutts u might have.

Re issue 2: as above ,centre off the window, full tile or half tile, whichever looks best.

Good luck

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice on tile trim on window sill in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Evening, Hope this post is in the correct section. If not, please feel free to move! I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Is it possible to remove the plastic trim from the edge of tiling. I want to tile...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to forum and after some advice after a professional install. Just had kitchen...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone Looking soon at retiling a shower enclosure walls at a local leisure centre. Once...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.