UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice on trim with mosaics in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

McDogger

Hi I am hoping you can help I am having my kitchen tiled with polished marble moasiacs above all the kitchen counter and ending at the window edge not tiling into the window recess would you advise to use trim or butt the edges leaving the til exposed?

I am also having a strip of local tiling from the sink to the ceiling in my downstairs toilet and would like to know again whether to use trim on the sides or leave the tiles Iam using these tiles NSM Tumb Trav/Marble White Rand B/Mosaic which have edges that slot into each other so would have cut edges on the sides

I really hope you can help as want this done asap.

thanks

M

Mike

Hi I am hoping you can help I am having my kitchen tiled with polished marble moasiacs above all the kitchen counter and ending at the window edge not tiling into the window recess would you advise to use trim or butt the edges leaving the til exposed?

I am also having a strip of local tiling from the sink to the ceiling in my downstairs toilet and would like to know again whether to use trim on the sides or leave the tiles Iam using these tiles NSM Tumb Trav/Marble White Rand B/Mosaic which have edges that slot into each other so would have cut edges on the sides

I really hope you can help as want this done asap.

thanks

It's your choice as wether to use trim of you can have the edge of the tile showing. Square edge Chrome trim looks nice especially if you have Chrome in the kitchen.

tapatalk on my HTC

D

Deleted member 1779

Having used "Trim" and "No trim" options I believe its better to trim. Its a personal opinion

window2.jpg

Trim

window3.jpg

Up Close

window4.jpg

No Trim.

OK So the example is on full tiles (not mosaic) but I think it highlights the point.

Also the trim in this project is natural / cream to blend in rather that "white"
Chrome is a good contrast too

B

Bolter

Andy Allen thanks very much mate gives me a much better idea I really appreciate it shame you dont work in the Kewnt are I could get you to come and do it.

If you do have any kitchen pics or of mosaics around windows but not into the recess that would be amazing

The marble mosaics, its up to you if trim is used or not.

I dont know what you mean by "local" tiling, but if there are mosaics going in and it will leave a cut edge, it will look much better with trim.

D

Deleted member 1779

This toilet was done with staggered mosaics and NO TRIM.

39.JPG

As you can see pre-grouting its a bit of a mess.

Cutting and fitting without a trim is fiddly.

45.JPG

Here it is in profile.

45a.jpg

This is what it looked like finished (much better)

Two thing to note.
1) It was a mistake to have tiled the small side of the black box first so that the edge was protruding. It would have been better not to have had the edges sticking out.
2) The tiles to the right were a bit hit and miss. Not exactly straight. Even the grout (which hides a multitude of errors) could not even out this bit.

Working with small staggered mosaics can be rewarding if a bit fiddly and mistakes can show up.

Just take note of the thickness of the trim probably a mm or two.
If the mosaics a fairly small you dont want to follow that contour so once you have determined where the trim will be, set it in and skim some addy and feather it from the trim bak to say the length of your trowel. let it set, then you will have a nice flat contour running right up to the edge of the trim.:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice on trim with mosaics in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Evening, Hope this post is in the correct section. If not, please feel free to move! I'm...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.