Discuss Advice on yet another wooden floor project! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stuartpaul

Afternoon all,

Intending to tile a new 18mm chipboard floor with 600 x 600 porcelaine tiles. Joists are 400 ish centres (old house!).

I am not going to overboard with 6mm ply despite many old and bold builders telling me this is the way to do it as I'm aware this is now a defunct way of approaching the job.

The options are either no more ply or crack interferance membrane (recommended by local tile shop) with flexible adhesive and grout.

I'm leaning towards no more ply as it would help beef up the floor a little (there is some deflection in it) despite it raising the height more than I would like.

Not a lot of price difference between the two options but wondering if the pro's out there can recommend the best approach (and no, I'm not going to rip it out and start agian with thicker ply!).

Thanks

Stuart

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
How much height have you got available. You could screw battens down at right angles to the existing joists. That would remove the bounce. Fill the gap between the battens with rigid insulation or with screed then over board the lot by screwing down hardibacker screwed down to the battens and all the way through into the chipboard between the battens. Will add floor height though...

S

Stuartpaul

Thanks again.

Floor is already screwed at greater than 200 centres (mostly 150 but many a lot less).

I can add extra height but reluctant to go more than 10mm plus the tiles (10mm as well). Could potentially go to 12mm (i.e. sheet of ply) but that 's about it.

Ripping up has been considered but the mess, inconvenience and cost have made it something of a non option really.

It isn't that I can't be bothered to remove deflection, - it's the factors mentioned above that make it very difficult to achieve within a sensible budget.

Looks like the tiles are going back then!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice on yet another wooden floor project! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, sorry for the clunky thread title... Just over a year ago we had a side...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I'm new to tiling and looking for some advice. I'm practical and usually pretty good...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I am planning on tiling my bathroom floor, I removed the old tiles myself which were...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB