Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Advice Required Before Tiling,again! in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com.

D

dogbower

Hi
We have a kitchen/diner with wet underfloor heating, its a n L shaped room 8M long by 6m at its widest, narrowing down to 4M.
We installed the underfloor heating ourselves, in a 70mm sand and cement screed, around 7 years ago. I then tiled the screed with large format slate tiles. After a couple of years the tiles showed signs of movement in some of the grout lines, and gradually some tiles have come loose.
I have now lifted all the tiles to sort this out and found, a couple of cracks in the slab, and poor adhesion between adhesive and tiles.
This appears to be because, I didn't put an expansion strip through the slab? The UFH has 2 circuits in this room.
I also have areas of the room that are not heated, under cabinets etc, but they are tiled
The screen was fully dry before tiling, underfloor heating off when tiling and gradually back on after.

I now want to sort this out and would like some advice.

I am planning to-
Prime the screed, self level in a couple of areas, fit decoupler membrane throughout the room, tile.
I am planning to use Webber Spf rapid set adhesive.
Do you think this should sort my movement issues?
Any other suggestions? Do I need to look at an expansion strip as well?

Thanks Stuart.

Sounds like you have a good plan tbh.
I was thinking it's touch and go across the 8 meter length considering it's UFH. Should be ok but, if you don't mind using an expansion strip then why not.
Make sure the backs of the tiles are clean and dry before you tile to ensure you get a good bond with the adhesive. I know your reusing your old slate but from new they can be a bit dusty on the backs some times.

D

dogbower

Apologies, Ref: reusing old slate tiles. I somehow just seemed to imagine it.
Who knows what tiles he is using, I certainly dont :)

Yes amazingly using the old tiles, carefully removed and cleaned, but no they didn't stick very well.

Crack not through expansion in slab as I didn't put one in, oops.

So do as I first suggested but also stick an expansion strip in then?

Thanks for the replies,

Stuart.

Reply to Advice Required Before Tiling,again! in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
DIY Tiling; Advice for DIY Tilers So long story short, I have just purchased my first house and...
Replies
Views

Underfloor Heating Trending Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Advice Required Before Tiling,again!
Prefix
Forum
Tiling on Underfloor Heating
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Kerakoll

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Ardex

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Mapei

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Ultra Tile

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • BAL

Votes: 25 29.4%