UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice Required Marmox Insulation Boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

h4rsx

Hiya,

I've had some Marmox 20mm insulation boards laid down on my conservatory floor today using Bal PTB Flexible adhesive, as I'm planning on installing some under tile heating also.

The boards were laid down by a guy who does tiling, so I left it in his hands, however on checking the boards later this evening, by tapping them, there appears to be alot of hollow sounds, more so than solid sounds (which is where the adhesive is making contact with the boards) there's also some minor flex in the boards around the perimeter of the room which also sound hollowish when tapped.

Am I being paranoid here or does this mean that the boards have not gone down properly? As I realise that the boards are not designed for point loads, flex etc.

The floor was very slightly uneven, but I thought with using the PTB Adhesive, this would eliminate any problems.

Your thoughts would be very appreciated.

H

h4rsx

Thanks very much guys, thats kind of confirmed my suspicions, the floor was only very slight out in places and I know if the adhesive had been applied slightly thicker in those areas, it would've done the job.

Right next question:

How do I go about rectifying it? I pulled up one board with relative ease and saw that the adhesive only made contact in certain places. This then leaves the original adhesive on the floor and a board that has bits of adhesive on it.

Would I be correct in saying that all the boards would need to be lifted, then back buttered and put down over the original adhesive? I can't see the adhesive spreading very well over the original adhesive somehow?

Or

Lay down some flexible SLC, which will fill the groove's in the PTB Adhesive, making the floor flat once again, then re-apply PTB Adhesive again?

Blimey, this is going to work out quite costly, Bal stuff isn't exactly cheap :whatchutalkingabout

Again, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice Required Marmox Insulation Boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, probably a pretty common question but I'm going around in circles looking online for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.