Discuss Advice requiredpls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Following a post a few months ago from a member of the public I have been out to remove the tiles from the wetroom tray due to the tiles not being fixed/grouted correctly, prior to them moving into the house.

Some of you may remember this was the wetroom tray originally

wetroom1.jpg wetroom2.jpg

After removing the tiles

wetroom3.jpg

There has never been any leaking through the floor (which may surprise you). It does actually look as though it has been tanked correctly. It is an Impey tanking kit and drain.

What I now need to do is remove the addy in preparation to re-tile. My question is, not having removed addy from Impey tanking before, is it likely to damage the tanking or if I'm very careful do you think I could remove it without damage and re-tile over it. It does seem quite a thick membrane after looking at the Impey systems.

Anyone done this before and what would be the best way of going about it.

Cheers

John

Attachments

• wetroom3.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 80

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
Following a post a few months ago from a member of the public I have been out to remove the tiles from the wetroom tray due to the tiles not being fixed/grouted correctly, prior to them moving into the house.

Some of you may remember this was the wetroom tray originally

View attachment 53544 View attachment 53545

After removing the tiles

View attachment 53547

There has never been any leaking through the floor (which may surprise you). It does actually look as though it has been tanked correctly. It is an Impey tanking kit and drain.

What I now need to do is remove the addy in preparation to re-tile. My question is, not having removed addy from Impey tanking before, is it likely to damage the tanking or if I'm very careful do you think I could remove it without damage and re-tile over it. It does seem quite a thick membrane after looking at the Impey systems.

Anyone done this before and what would be the best way of going about it.

Cheers

John

Unless you skim it with adhesive to fill them holes and tile that area with thinner mosaic?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Unless you skim it with adhesive to fill them holes and tile that area with thinner mosaic?

That was one of my thoughts Andy, I've found a mosaic that really goes well with existing floor and wall tiles and customer likes them, but they are same thickness as tile that has just come off so I would need to remove the majority of it

It will have stuck hard to the Impey kit. You'll rip the membrane and have to either re-tank or cover over the damage with a paint on kit/Impey patch in.

I've had to do this a few times and it's always a nightmare

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
It will have stuck hard to the Impey kit. You'll rip the membrane and have to either re-tank or cover over the damage with a paint on kit/Impey patch in.

I've had to do this a few times and it's always a nightmare

That's just what I needed to hear, seriously, how difficult and easy it would be and would it damage the tanking not having done it before on the Impey. Now I have a better idea for costings.

Cheers

No probs. I done a shower last week. 2 mts of porc tiles on impey to come up. . . took a day with a sds!! The impey makes the adhesive come up in 50p size bits and then you have to get the snots off the formed tray so you can re-tank and get the correct falls.

Good luck with it

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
No probs. I done a shower last week. 2 mts of porc tiles on impey to come up. . . took a day with a sds!! The impey makes the adhesive come up in 50p size bits and then you have to get the snots off the formed tray so you can re-tank and get the correct falls.

Good luck with it

Did you re-tank with paint on or with Impey again?

K

kaharrison9

Hi John.I had one of these a while ago to do. I think the hardest part is done and that is getting the tiles up without any real damage. I would use a stone polisher maybe around 240 grit on slow speed and gentle sand the addy down. Then check for any holes and screed over the holes with rapid. prime then tank and apply a 1mm fleece over and re tank immediately over the top (I used the mira tanking kit with there safecoat fleece from pure adhesion Harrogate).The tray is now repaired and fully tanked and ready to go. Do get one of those dust door protectors as the sanding will throw up some dust. If you need to borrow my sanding kit give us a ring or if nearby by i'll pop over and help out. though I am on holiday next week. Wet trays with thought to an exstent can be repaired Kevin

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Hi John.I had one of these a while ago to do. I think the hardest part is done and that is getting the tiles up without any real damage. I would use a stone polisher maybe around 240 grit on slow speed and gentle sand the addy down. Then check for any holes and screed over the holes with rapid. prime then tank and apply a 1mm fleece over and re tank immediately over the top (I used the mira tanking kit with there safecoat fleece from pure adhesion Harrogate).The tray is now repaired and fully tanked and ready to go. Do get one of those dust door protectors as the sanding will throw up some dust. If you need to borrow my sanding kit give us a ring or if nearby by i'll pop over and help out. though I am on holiday next week. Wet trays with thought to an exstent can be repaired Kevin

Cheers Kevin, and thanks for the call earlier this evening. Enjoy your hols.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice requiredpls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB