UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice / thoughts please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

Will try to keep this as short as possible....

Had a very heated discussion with a customer the other day regarding their toilet I tiled 2 weeks ago for local bathroom company. Job was only 9 m2; large format porcs walls half way and floor. When I finished, tidied and all hovered up, I asked customer to have a look and check they where satisfied as most of us usually do, she pointed out a small piece of silicone i had missed so i quickly apologised and fixed,...she was then happy (as she was during installation)!

Yesterday i get a call from bathroom company owner regarding a snaging list at same address....

I turn up and the other tiler from same company is pointing out what the snags where (he was doing main bathroom at same property)..snags: one tiny hole in grout (2mmm), chrome trim scratched, (you can only really take my word for it but it was tiny) there main issue was though... where I finished the tiles half height there was a gap ranging from 3mm to 8mm between wall and tile, I finished this with decorators caulk and looked ok, the wall was slightly bowed hence reason for 8mm adhesive in middle of wall. I don’t really know any way around this unless you bend tiles to suit but the you have other problems, last issue was the floor was too high, I really have no idea how to fix this unless you don’t ply it but I’m just the tiler on this one, this was all prepped by company.
Anyway, I’m working through the list when the customer turns up (I must point out, they where both very nice UP UNTILL NOW)...

Me: he there, can you just show me the problems as better than working from list..

Him: (Very Angrily) ....how about you just rip the whole lot back off, it’s all a mess

Me: eh???????

Him: look at the gap between wall and tile

Me: yes reason......(interrupted)

Him: come through here to kitchen

...Starts comparing his 10 x 10 tiles on kitchen tiles, i tried to explain the difference but uninterested...he went off on a real rant but he said something very interesting, he started mentioning bs standards of how flat a wall should be a over a 6ft edge!!....the tyrade went on.....for a good 5 mins but I managed to calm the him / her down as they were being totally unreasonable, they were not interested in me fixing the small issues (extremely small) , they just wanted me out there house. I explained I just want to try and fix, so managed to calm them down, fixed small errors again, they were happy again when I left, 3 of us laughing about it in the end but something tells me this is not the end of this....???
It raises questions.

1, what makes customers happy with job one day and then furious to extent they don’t even want you in their house the next?
2, where do customers acquire information on bs standards?
3, what makes a customer suddenly become (hyper critical) with your work when they have been happy throughout and at the end of the job?

your thoughts on this are very much appreciated, never seen a change in a customer in my life!!

C

charlie1

Generally this attitude is down to the final payment. Have you been paid?

Hi bubblecraft, I don't think this is down to a payment issue, one day he called boss to question thy there was a bead of caulk running along the tile trim (that was all) the day after he's wanting the whole lot ripped out....bear in mind, they have been happy with it for 2 weeks now! Something has happened within 1 day.....??

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi charlie,imo mate you have aproached it in the right way you have said you will rectify the bits and peices highlighted.

i am coming across more and more customers atm who are unreasonable/speak to you like they own you and generally behave in very strange ways indeed who knows what makes them tick......its generally money imo

the wall issue with dado height tiling i have come across before where i have had to advise companies to ensure wall is flat 1st other wise once your tiling is on and flat the wall above shows up its true shape and it doesnt look good,trying to get people to understand these things sometimes is more difficult than you would think lol

wouldnt worry too much about it

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
sounds to me that the other tiler has stuck the boot in, do you know him well? is he a mate?....some people are just like that, cant help picking holes in others work, and could be where the client got the bs standers from, if you not reponsable for the prep then floor hight issues should have been discussed with the client by the b/r company...

i would just do the snagging, bid them good day, get paid, move on.....even though it may mean bitting your tongue.....some days i go home with a hole in mine...lol

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Think the other guys are on to something here. The other tiler might of landed you in it. Hence the BS quote.

But if you are subbed through a company that is quoting the complete job then it's their (the company) responsability to answer complaints. Who did the prep? Was it the exsisting wall? Or had it been re-boarded, skimmed etc.
Did you highlight the potential pitfall with the half tiling?

C

charlie1

Thanks guys....you are all spot on, just wanted second, 3rd, 4rth opinion on the matter! Yes, since last post it has been said by copany boss not to trust the other tiler in question as he has been guilty of this type of thing in the past! its total bs though, my work is very good and this one was no different! As previously said, a tiler or any other trade could take cheap shots at anyones work if you have a perfectionists eye. Unfortunatley I did not point out the bow in the wall before starting, it was an existing wall. You live and learn as they say!

It has since been rumoured that the other tiler...well I say tiler but he calls himself an artist!!! lool.... will be short of work from the company in question due to his antics!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice / thoughts please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.