UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advise Required in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Channi

Hi everyone, this seems to be a very friendly and helpful site. I'm a DIY'er that needs a bit of advise and I was wondering whether someone may be able to help me.
I'm tiling a new en-suite in my house, I have tiled (porceline) on a wooden worktop where a free standing wash basin will go. However, when the adhesive is drying, the tiles seem to move a couple om mm's here and there which looks a bit rubbish.
Should I be doing something else or am i usinf the wrong adhesive (unibond flxible adhesive).
Your help would be much appreciated.

:sad_smile:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
So it could be the weight of the tiles pushing them out a little? I'm just trying to picture it and am struggling. Is it a wall or an actual flat surface (worktop type thing)?

If it's the weight of the tiles pushing them out of line a little, then you could do with using a batten perhaps to stop them moving. If they are lying flat on a work-surface type affair, and they are moving in only one direction, then I am baffled without seeing the job I think.

Got any pictures?

C

Channi

Hi Dan, yes the tiles are on a flat surface on a worktop, I suppose it could be the weight of the tiles but I guess then that the whole tile should sink. This appears to be one end of the tile is moving as the adhesive is drying. I was thinking that the adhesive is soaking into the wood more in certain places and drying differently thus causing one end to be ligted as the other end is drying and contracting but that's just an amateurs thought. Do I need to seal the wood with something first?
I don't have pictures here at work but I'll try to get some tomorrow.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You have to make sure that you're using the right adhesive first. Porcelain has a very low water absorbtion rate so the adhesives that stick to that generally stick to the surface of it rather than soaking into it. Therefor, the polymers used in the adhesives that make it do exactly that should be ok to stick to the surface of your worktop. If it's a sealed malemine worktop type thing you need an adhesive that will again stick to the surface of it rather than soak in it. If it's a HDF/MDF type worktop then you may need to prime it but most adhesive have priming agents in them to stop the water being extracted from the adhesive mix.

You could physically check to see what's going on. as soon as you see a tile sink a little, pull it up and see what the adhesive is doing. I'd double check that your adhesive is suitable though too.

You need a porcelain adhesive, then maybe as they are big, a 'pourable thick-bed' (PTB), then maybe even a version that's suitable to sticking to the type of wood you're sticking to.

Then from an applications point of view, you need to check you're not using too much adhesive which can cause shrinkage of the adhesive as it cures/sets, which maybe what's happening here.

Sounds like you have a flexible adhesive (covering you for the wood) but is it an adhesive designed to work with porcelain, and a large tile?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advise Required in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi - looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced this. Hands up I am completely...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.