UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Am i doing the right thing here? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

skeg

Hi there,

I'm not a tiler by trade really but have had some good tiling courses under my belt from a year or so ago. These were done as my current employment has had an uncertain future for a while and tiling was something i felt i could do if my job was ever to fall through at some point. As a result of this i have only done a few jobs when they present themselves to me and when each job arises i find myself having to refresh and research on the correct things to do so i know i'm doing the correct things.

The job i'm looking at at the moment is an en suite bathroom and 2nd family bathroom. Both are going to have showers whilst one has the bath as well.

These are my thoughts/questions:-

Floors are chipboard but solid so am going to overlay in brickbond pattern with Hardibacker board 6mm screwed and stuck down with a slow set (i'm a slow worker :smilewinkgrin:)flexi bagged adhesive with 3mm or so gaps and tape covering all joins. Tiles to be used are 300x300 matt finished ceramic fixed down with the same flexi adhesive with 5mm gaps for grout.

The shower cubicles are still in construction, plastered with skim finish on one side and back wall with just the timber frame in place for the other side wall. This timber frame is going to be plasterboarded and skimmed, however i've read on here that it may be better to tile onto the board once it's tanked and to not skim plaster it. Is this right?

The wall tiles are i think 300x6/7/800 i can't remember but basically rectangular.

Should the already skimmed plaster on the other walls of the shower definitely be tanked?

Going to be using a chrome tile trim but will probably have a point where a 3 way mitre needs to be cut. I've done this before with a quadrant tile trim where the profile is a perfect qtr circle and this finished nicely. Is it possible to do a 3 way mitre with trim such as some of the Homelux stuff where the profile is not a perfect qtr circle or do i have to go with the quadrant stuff and possibly get some of the external corner pieces?

I can appreciate this is a lot to ask help with but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Skeg

C

CDS

As Swanman suggests it sounds like a fair bit of work for someone that doesn't do it much.

I've always been naff at 3 way mitres despite using the advice on this forum in the past - Personally I'd use a bit of sq edge chrome of plastic trim for that bit!!

Prime all walls and tank walls around the shower to a height of 1m and seal to the shower tray.

I'd check your weights for your wall tiles as plasterskim doesn't have as high a tolerance as plasterboard - from memory its something like 22kg per m.sq for skim and 32kg p/m.sq for plasterboard.

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london
Hi, as above, best to get some pro tiler. For you mitred corners would not be easy.
DSC_0329.jpg
and those are only small ceramic tiles. porcalain tiles much harder to do

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Am i doing the right thing here? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.