UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Amy says hi in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Amy999

Hi All

Great site and so much useful info too, i hope i'm not being cheeky to jump on board and pester you for info.

Am just starting out on a big DIY project at home, have never tiled before and understand that there is so much more to tiling than meets the eye but i am determined to do it myself. Probably very simple to most of you but very challenging for me:cool: so was hoping i could coun't on some of you pro's to help me along the way (well probably all the way lol)

Anyway, thanks a lot guy's and good to meet you all

Amy ***

A

Amy999

Hi guys

LOL cheers APM.... i'm in London. Basically i have to tile my kitchen, bathroom, conservatory and hallway, but i would also like to do my garage and patio.
I know this is quite a lot for one person and a novice at that but i have plenty of time so am just going to try and learn each thing before i do it.

I am starting with my kitchen floor which had lino tiles on top of vinyl tiles which was stuck down with bitchumen?? i have got all this up but have been left with a very uneven floor, someone suggested i check out an some of the self leveling compounds as i may be able to do it on my own. What do you think is it poss to do it alone, my kitchen floor is about 9sq and has all the appliances already in it, i am aware that i don't have to level the whole room just the part that is going to be tiled... but how do i stop the compound from running right to the back walls??

I hope all this makes sense.

Thanks for your help xx

C

Concept PHT

Hi Amy - take no notice of Admin, just a jealous old man he he he :)

Ok, your floor will more than likely need a levelling compound. Relatively easy to put down providing you have the right tools. You will need a large bucket (one of them tubtrugs are good for this), a good mixing device (electric paddle or the good old wooden baton and elbow grease) and a good floor trowel.

Firstly, make sure that the areas you don't want to have compound are cordoned off. In other words, put a wooden baton down to act as a barrier where you dont want the stuff to go.

Then, mix your compound so that its runny, like thick gravy almost. Start with a few inches of water in your bucket, then add the powder so that you have a mound in the middle of the water, but still able to see water too. Then stir carefully, adding more powder to get the consistenct.

Start pouring the compound down in an area where you can work backwards to a door for your exit. Only pour in small areas, as you will need to trowel the stuff out. You are aiming to have about a 3mm even spread of compound across the floor. Don't worry about the swirls you will see when you trowel out. This will level itself off. Thats where the word 'levelling' comes into levelling compound.

For some reason, people think that because its levelling compound, it will miraculously level gradients of 90 degrees. Its not designed for that. Its for very minor imperfections in a floor.

Leave to dry for a few hours, maybe over night and then your ready to tile.

With your porcelains, as a rule, if they are light in colour, then its best to use a white adhesive. Otherwise if you use the usual grey, it may creep throught the tile and stain them. You will also have to use a good quality wet cutter for this as you cannot dry cut porcelain. But you can still use the dry cutter to score your tiles before wet cutting. You may have to seal them too - check with the tile shop if you need to do this or not. If you do, then its a case of buying the sealer and applying it with a cloth before tiling.

I hope this gets you off ok, anymore info then please ask or IM me on here.

Good luck :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Amy says hi in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.