UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Anhydrite screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Another interesting point is: Walls are rendered with sand/cement yet plastered with Gypsum.
I have never come across the plaster separating from the render??

Am i worrying about something that happens to a small % of jobs most likely having not prepared the site in the 1st instance.
What do the Europeans use, they use more anhydrite than the UK and in general more tiles too.

There are far more gypsum addys available in europe..... Weber, pci, forbo, uzin, kreutz, mapei, benfer to name just a few.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I wrote that :)

Ah that clears up a point for me Alan, I have just received my copy of Tiling to calcium sulfate screeds, published by the tile association. And I noticed there was no mention of decoupling membranes, unless I missed something. And yet a few years ago I was involved in laying a large tiled floor on a calcium sulfate screed at a college where the college "boffin" checked the residual moisture levels with his hair hygrometer, we primed the floor with an epoxy primer, then used Ditra mat prior to tiling,

This was specified by Ardex, was this overkill? I understand the need for decoupling on sand and cement screeds, due to shrinkage etc, but just wondered is it not needed on calcium sulfate screeds?

Thanks in advance, Phil.

P

PHG Dave

Ah that clears up a point for me Alan, I have just received my copy of Tiling to calcium sulfate screeds, published by the tile association. And I noticed there was no mention of decoupling membranes, unless I missed something. And yet a few years ago I was involved in laying a large tiled floor on a calcium sulfate screed at a college where the college "boffin" checked the residual moisture levels with his hair hygrometer, we primed the floor with an epoxy primer, then used Ditra mat prior to tiling,

This was specified by Ardex, was this overkill? I understand the need for decoupling on sand and cement screeds, due to shrinkage etc, but just wondered is it not needed on calcium sulfate screeds?

Thanks in advance, Phil.

All screeds have the potential to crack, as unfortunately found out by a previous customer of mine that decided against my recommendation to use decoupling membrane on her Anhydrite screed floor. Luckily the crack in her tiles only covered a few pieces and i still had just enough stock of the same batch to get a match

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

All screeds have the potential to crack, as unfortunately found out by a previous customer of mine that decided against my recommendation to use decoupling membrane on her Anhydrite screed floor. Luckily the crack in her tiles only covered a few pieces and i still had just enough stock of the same batch to get a match

As I understand the characterisics of Calcium Sulfate screeds, are and I quote from the TTA paper "minimal shrinkage, negligible cracking and curling", so I asked the question, are decoupling membranes necessary? with Calcium Sulfate screeds?

PS I have been a great advocate of decoupling membranes on any suspect substrate, but I am now wondering if I am giving the wrong advice to customers.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire

Thanks in advance, Phil.

I was also on the steering comittee that wrote that document phil. The uncoupling membranes were not included as the comittee deemed them outside of the scope of the document. The main issue i think is that they sit outside of the british standards.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
As I understand the characterisics of Calcium Sulfate screeds, are and I quote from the TTA paper "minimal shrinkage, negligible cracking and curling", so I asked the question, are decoupling membranes necessary? with Calcium Sulfate screeds?

PS I have been a great advocate of decoupling membranes on any suspect substrate, but I am now wondering if I am giving the wrong advice to customers.

Uncoupling membranes certainly have a place with calcium sulphate screeds but there is less lateral movement so they are not so necessary from this point of view. Where a screed is laid without appropriate joints they are useful and where there is differential thermal movement between screed and adhesive. The gypsum addys (gbta) actually state that they can be used in place of uncoupling.

If the substrate is as you say suspect then my advice is uncople...

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
They decided not to include gypsum because they wanted the document to reflect materials covered by a british standard. There is currnently no britsh standard covering gypsum despite it meeting all the same requirements as the flexible cement adhesives. There is a phrase in the document which says along the lines of other systems or adhesives which are not covered by british standards are available. This was negotiated into the document to cover other than cement adhesives but the tiling association steering committee were very intransigent on the point. There were no members on the steering comittee from companies that have gypsum adhesives available in the uk. Nicobond developed theiers following input from myself having spotted an important gap in the market.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
But there is on the inside of the front cover a full page advert for gypfix ?

Paul dawtrey, export director for nicobond, was on the same comittee. It was him that spotted the opportunity and went ahead with the gypfix project.

Reply to Anhydrite screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
A simple question I'm struggling with. Up front, it's a self build - my 4th, so done a fair bit...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi i'm self building my own barn conversion and have a anhydrite screed and underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
Currently working out a price to tile one of these screeds, last one I did must of been 10 years...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.