UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss another duff stone supply . in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonnyc

this is the second bad batch of stone ive had from two different suppliers within a week.
first batch had originally been flamed ,but because did not have honed in stock , the supplier simply gave the lot to some local man who flipped it upside down and applied a 100 grit finish to back of stone. you could still see the saw marks and hand held polisher marks . should have had the range of pads over it.
he actually told me in the beginning that he always kept stone with honed top and flamed back so you could choose which way up you want tile !!!
so its all gone back and waiting new delivery.
not to worry i think as i have another client waiting , stone delivered and ready to go.
this is what i found when starting to go through crates.
tile joints on 600 width when length lying along a straight edge from zero up to 12mm!!!!
50-60 % of edges totally out square, which means will have to recut approx 180 edges and distress again, before can even start.
unfortunately i dont have a third client just waiting so have to try and rectify this so can keep my employees going.
set rail saw up for right angle and offered unsquare stone up and recut. Then have to distress edge and go through three grades of diamond pad to replicate edge on other tiles.
this is going to take up to three man days i reckon , but dont have much choice.
will be charging for our time but dont SUPPLIERS MAKE YOU MAD . THEY DO MY HEAD IN SOMETIMES. NO QUALITY CONTROL AT ALL.
When i complain they admit they are wrong and simply say there will be more in from IRAN IN THREE WEEKS.
Chances of that stone being unsquare like first batch highly likely i think.
these people seem to think i can just go on to another job and go back and fit second batch soon as it comes in.
if we didnt have to face problems like this on a regular basis could make a decent living.
I guess the answer would be to stick to porcelain.!!!!
incidentally these stone suppliers are not people who recommend me or have bought from.
have a look at how bad cut. 130.jpg 122.jpg 012.jpg 015.jpg 018.jpg 021.jpg 023.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Oh no that's not good!

Feel sorry for you mate I used to hate cutting at the best of times but when you're cutting for the sake of getting the tiles useable and not actually just because it's a cut that's needed - that'd do my tree in.

The suppliers should refuse delivery of them or send them back as soon as they spot it. Then the distributors wouldn't want to buy it. Then the manufacturers couldn't sell it so would make sure it's right.

It's whichever plebb accepted it at the higher levels that makes it acceptable to come to market and actually get used.

Makes me wonder whether somebody managed to get a refund on them somewhere down the chain, and still sold them anyway for the hell of it. And poor tiler ends up being the guy sorting it out. :(

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to another duff stone supply . in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Can I trouble some experts in here for some advice on laying pavers on a concrete pool surround...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.