Discuss Another Floating Floor Question....pls help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Crazygirl

I have spent all day reading all the threads on here re. floating floors but think I need it spelt out to me. I have just had a large extension built and we wanted under floor heating but unfortunately due to a misunderstanding with the builder over the type of UFH system, we have ended up with the insulation on top of concrete, screed on top of that, the polystyrine with the UFH pipes and they have finished it with a floating chipboard floor - the builder has now fitted our kitchen (over the floating floor) and we are ready to get the tiler in - he wants to put ditra matting down first and then flexible adhesive and grout. It is a 90m2 area and is costing a fortune (we are sooo over budget)so it needs to be done the right way. We are so confused with all the different advice and would like to know the best way forward. We have bought 600x600 porcelain tiles which we love.... and really want to be able to us, we just don't know how it should be done. Any help would be very much appreciated!!.

D

DHTiling

when the tiler walk across it earlier (and he is a big guy) you could see it bouce a bit. Would ply over it not work, or the ditra mat?

We can only advise.. the final choice is yours.. It is a big risk and you have to ask yourself is it worth it..? and will your tiler give you the customer a guarantee that his installation will work without failure..?

P

peckers

I have tiled loads off floating floors and never had a problem. HOWEVER I wouldnt take on your floating floor and be able to give a guarantee! you have more factors to take into consideration then the ones that I have done.
1 it is a new floating floor. and over time the insulation under the chipboard will settle and until it does you will get bounce/deflection especially in doorways.
2 you will also have more laterall movement due to the underfloor heating.

As you have said the builder has walked over it and hes a fairly big guy and there is some movement there now, in 6 months time there could be even more movement due to the settling of the floor especially in the most traffic areas, and if you have friends around 3-4 then im sure this would be more weight then just one big builder guy.

As I said i have done many floating floors and there is alot of work to be done to them to make them bounce/deflection free but they have always been older floors that have had time to settle and compress. Im afraid that the de-coupler mat isnt the only thing that would have to be done. as this will not stop the deflection/bounce.

The tiler that is going to do the job has he done these before and is he voiding or giving you a guarantee with his work?

sorry I couldnt give you what you wanted to here, but could you not sell the tiles or take them back and go for karandean tiles instead? With all the prep work and materials needed to tile it, then it would be cheaper and you would have piece of mind :thumbsup:

Reply to Another Floating Floor Question....pls help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Another Floating Floor Question....pls help!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.