UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Another hardibacker question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
Am doing a job for my aunt at the weekend.
Remove old tiles and 6mm ply to floor boards as it has failed (surprise,surprise).

Now as i have had nothing to do with the material side of things as i was only called about it after they had bought everything,the guy from ctd has sold her 6mm hardibacker to replace ply.

Having never installed hardibacker on floorboards(i usually would use 18mm marine ply or wpb)is the hardibacker suitable for said job and if so would i need to screw it every 150mm as i would with ply?

Thanks for any input.

Oh the tiles are 600x600 polished porcelain and the area is around 8 m2.

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
Can go straight onto the floor boards if sound and solid - no need for the ply.
But the website dan linked says it needs to go on ply? not sure if i would trust it with floorboards in a bungalow that has already had a failed floor,i will secure all floorboards ,but until i remove the exsisting am sort of going in blind,i hate family jobs lol

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Flooring grade chipboard, ply or tongue and groove floorboards.
Obviously the original floorboards need to be solid and deflection free first - this can sometimes be as simple as screwing into the joists (as most flooring is nailed), sometimes it is necessary to add extra noggins betwee the joists to shore it all up if you can't eliminate deflection. The Hardi screws are 30mm long and are designed for walls, I have spoke to Hardi and they will be rolling out shorter screws for floors soon. Since most wooden floor substrates are about 18mm thick then 30mm screws are too long to use in a bathroom unless you know where all the pipe runs are so you would be best to use 20mm turbo gold screws. I personally use NoMorePly screws and their mega strength adhesive to stick the boards down whether I am using NMP or Hardi 250.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Another hardibacker question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hi, new member here! I'm about to tile the walls and floor of our shower room. The floor at the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Was just seeking some advice from the pros on a question I know has been asked many...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
This kitchen is not level as can be seen in the attached picture. From floorboard to kitchen...
Replies
Views
Sid2323
S
Hi Ive been browsing your forums over the years looking for guidance for odd tiling DIY tasks...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.