Discuss Another new guy..... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Martin

Hi all

I'm new to the forums, which I came across when doing some research on the internet into what kind of career change I want. I've just recently stopped being a driving instructor due to certain circumstances that are irrelevant here, and am looking for a change in direction.

I decided that it would be most worthwhile learning a trade and I favoured tiling or plastering or both. My brother is a plumber, a mate is also a plumber and gas fitter and my cousin is an electrician, so I definately didn't want to go into those fields.

I'm not the kind of bloke who expects things to happen overnight, and I'm willing to take my time with this. I still have a part-time job within the NHS, so I have something to keep me going money-wise.

I'm 26 so a full time apprenticeship is out of the window, and there won't be any businesses out there wanting to take somebody on like me with no experience and train me up. So the only realistic approach would be to pay for and attend a training course and start taking jobs of my own to build experience. The sensible thing to do would be to keep working in the NHS for the 3 days a week I do now, and then do the tiling/plastering over the other 4 days to build experience. Maybe somewhere down the line I could go full time with my business. That's the rough plan anyway.

Now I'll get to the point.............. My question is can I realistically expect to attend a short tiling/plastering course and then expect to be able to go out and complete a job on my own to a decent standard?

For example, I like the sound of North East Tiling and Construction (or NETT as it used to be known) as it has had some great reviews. I am thinking of the multi-skilled 5 day tiling and 5 day plastering course. Could I potentially go from somebody with no experience to a guy who could complete a professional domestic job from such a short course?

Sorry for the essay, but I see fantastic advice being passed around these forums and thought I would tap into that. Feel free to question my grand master plan!!

Thanks in advance.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Hi and welcome,

I don't personally know anything about NETT however they are a sponsor of this forum which means they must be a reputable company offering good training courses. I'm sure they are people on here who will be able to tell you more about them. To become a skilled professional tiler takes years of hands on experience and no short course can prepare you from the day to day problems that crop up on jobs and the obstacles that you'll need to overcome. If it's something you're really serious about it I'd consider one of the longer courses. If you do a 5 day you're going to learn some of the basics however if your first paying customer wants a natural stone floor running through several diferent rooms then you're going to get yourself in to trouble!
One thing to remember though is there are guys and girls who are always happy to help where they can.

I

Ian

Welcome along. The short courses are beneficial but, need to be coupled with a considerable amount of hands on experience, my advice would be to do a course (2 weeks minimum, 4 weeks if you can afford the time off work), keep your current part time job and then use your days off to put your course knowledge into practice to gain the relevant experience you will need to go full time as a self employed tiler.

R

Rich

Good advice above. The problem is that there are countless people in your boat, the short course will give you a very rough understanding of the basics but as has been said you will be up against loads of newbies and time tested tradesmen. As Hillhead has said, I think it would be worth trying it before you dive in, Id put money on the fact that it is not how you imagine it.

Also do a search on here, there are loads of posts on here from people just starting out, might be of some help.

P

paul78

i was also an ADI but i renew my badge every 4yrs as a backup if i ever need it, wouldnt fancy the part 3 again!

anyway i can say that iv also been to NETT in newcastle on the plumbing & tiling course and can honestly recommend them. Give tracey a call

my main trade is plastering (self taught) now im that busy with it i subby a spread who works with me plus i get to learn even more of his 15yrs experience.

Best advice is...... spend hours and hours on these forums reading all archive posts also learning what preperation is involved as with plastering & tiling the prep is the most important, get the prep wrong and the finish wouldnt last.

whichever course you choose when you finish try and do lost of freebies for family, friends etc to get experience (they supply materials)

buy the best tools you can afford also as they will earn you the money back in the long run.

You should also get plenty work of your plumbers & electrician friends

M

Martin

i was also an ADI but i renew my badge every 4yrs as a backup if i ever need it, wouldnt fancy the part 3 again!

No I certainly don't fancy the part 3 again! My badge is set until Dec 2012, and just got a grade 5 on a check test earlier this year so Im all good with that!

Thanks to all for the sound advice. Would be great if I could find someone who would be willing to take me along with them on a few jobs (unpaid of course).

If there's anyone in the Doncaster area able to take on a free set of hands for a few days then let me know. I may well try a short course to learn some basics and then offer to help out a local tiler for free to gain some more experience until I feel confident to take on some basic jobs myself.

Either way, if there's anyone around Doncaster who can help out then PM me. Other than that, I will take on board what's been said and ask around some local tilers for more advice.

Thanks again!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Another new guy..... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi I am thinking of training to gain city and guilds on weekends I’m just wondering is there...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Another new guy.....
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.