UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Another one - Tiling Advice for my Kitchen in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

hairyhobo

hello all, im going to give tiling a go in my kitchen. But i was after some advice on where the best place to start on each wall and what to do around the window.
Im planning on using 300 x 100mm tiles, which would be half bonded on the walls. I have 300 x 300 floor tiles which have been half bonded, so not sure if that matters if it matches or not.

I also wasnt sure how to tackle the window sill, as in would i carry on the half bond across that and not worry the tiles would be the other way round compared to the tiles that will be on the wall either side of the window (if that makes sense?)
Also where is the best place to start on each wall? Would I just start from the centre of the window wall, or the centre of the window and work out? and the same with the wall to the left of the sink (1st pic), am i best starting from the centre and working out or from the left edge and work towards the corner so more of the funny cuts are hidden in the corner? and then the same with the side that has the hob on (splash back behind it), would I start from the splash back and work backwards towards the corner?

I am a complete novice and any advice will be amazing, thanks

wall1.jpg wall2.jpg wall3.jpg

H

hairyhobo

sorry forgot to add that, from work top to under the cabinets is 450mm. I was planning on tiling up to the cabinets. The cabinets have a little bit of trim running around the bottom, so i guess with the tiling is finished they will sit around the cabinet a little. So was planning on staying at this height all the way around the wall and either side of the window.
The height from the work top to the start of the window cill edge is about 110/120mm i think, i know you can get a 100mm high tile in and i would end up with a thin strip of tiles going along the wall there.

J

jwatson

thin strip will look rough. i would build the cill up slightly 25mm (2 pieces of plaster board (12.5 mm) could build up more by look of window on pic. should give a cut around half tile size.
you should always set out from what is the focal point of the kitchen, looking at the layout, i would imagine the window to be centre point. IMO. although setting out centre point from cooker always looks good too. on regards to the wrap around the walls make a gague rod and see how it looks, draw some lines on the wall, IMO there is nothing more unsightly in tiling than slither cuts every where. remember it is all in the planning.

doing my kitchen in this size tiles soon but i will be doing 3rd bond. :smilewinkgrin:

J

jwatson

yes you still continue the brick style pattern on the cill. i sugest a flat chrome trim to finish aswel, makes a world of difference comared to pvc. something like this IMG_0467[1].jpg
cool, I have more 6mm hardibacker i could use to try and build it up a bit.

How would you tackle the window cill? If i used the 200x 100 for example, would you still do the half bond across it?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Another one - Tiling Advice for my Kitchen in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.