Discuss Another sub-floor query in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Phillay

Hi, seen and read quite a few posts in relation to installing a proper sub-floor for when tiling an upstairs bathroom.

My bathroom's sized about 2.5 x 1.5m. The flooring is made up of 100mm wide x 20mm thick tongue and groove floorboards (ex council home built in the 70s). The joists below are 6" x 2" and are around 400mm centres.

We're refurbing the bathroom, and of course my wife wants floor tiles.

I know that the correct way would be to rip up the floorboards and start again, but it's going to be pretty impossible to do that as the internal dividing walls between the bathroom and hallway are old breeze block built, directly off the floorboards, so I'd end u disturbing their support and stability.

But like so many others I'm sure, I don't really want to be stepping up into my bathroom... I read in a previous forum post someone suggesting 6mm cememt board ontop of floorboards. To be fair, that ontop of the floorboards and then tiles to finish wouldn't be too bad regards height... I just don't know if it would be strong enough to stop the dreaded cracklines.

Advice greatly appreciated!

M

Mark S

There are a number of fibre-reinforced renovation screeds designed to go over timber floors, the key is the amount of movement that the floors boards have. Easy then to tile to a screeded floor, provided there is no movement to crack the screed.
These screeds are designed to be 5-10mm typically. I would check with the likes of Mapei, Ardex etc for a spec from them including the adhesive as well if you want a 'system' from 1 manufacturer

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Another sub-floor query in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
I've got a kitchen install coming up and the client wants floor tiles. Half the room is a...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. DIYer here looking for some advice. Am tiling a bathroom floor and currently...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB