Discuss Another Surface Question in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

martin_g

Hi Guys,

I'm a DIY'er looking to tackle my first tiling project, I've got a few questions I was hoping that I could ask the pro's...

I'm planning re-tiling my small bathroom using 300x500mm tiles, and having just gutted the room I'm having a plasterer come in to skim the ceiling and help repair/prep the walls.

The plasterer is suggesting he skims the walls with a coat of bonding and then to pva prior to tiling. I've read alot of conflicting info, but from what I gather bonding is very porous and isnt suitable to tile onto (hence may be the suggestion of using PVA to seal the bonding?).

From what google tells me, tiling over bonding is not a good idea, nor is PVA in a wet place. I'm keen to have my tiles stay on the wall :D what should I try to suggest is a better idea for surface prep? Quickset render sounds like it could be ideal?

Sorry if this has been asked so many times before! But any help is appreciated!

M

martin_g

I'm going to be doing the tiling myself (with a little help from someone with some experience) since the job isn't massive.

I'm using these tiles: **********.co.uk/tprod40365/Smart-Cream.html - the spec doesnt say the weight of the tile, but they're not massively thick and heavy in my opinion. From some rough calculations I think I'm looking at 15kg/sqm, I thought I'd be ok using a decent powdered adhesive with this size tile.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Another Surface Question in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB