UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss another urgent in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Matty A

Layed a slate floor on wed & thurs all went well grouted on friday i sealed the tile with 'STONE SHIELD' by fired earth (customer supplied) now i cleaned the floor with my wash boy and kept changing water to keep it clean i have washed the floor 3 times now and it still keeps drying with haze on now i tiled the porch of the house in the same tile with the same sealer and this hasnt got any haze on i only sealed the slate once before tiling but was informed by fired earth that once is ok im no too experienced in nat stone so was wondereing if there is anything i can add to my water to get this haze off as it will have dried over night now :confused:

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
Slate should be sealed twice leaving an hour in between coats then leave at least 6 hours before you grout, if you go to the tile shop and ask for cement remover for slate tiles, Lithofin builders clean or HG Extra, something on those lines, follow instructions on how soiled they are to dilute, seal again after you have finished. For future, get a piping bag and directly pipe the grout straight into the joint.

L

Leatherface

Sealing is the key. But first thorough cleaning before sealing - slate is usually very dirty / dusty - the slate needs to be clean and dry prior to sealing, otherwise any sealer will seal in the dirt and dust if you have not removed it first.
prior to fixing I usually grade all my slate first - thin, med and thick - and wipe over with a sponge and clean water as I go. Once laid I clean with another couple of changes of water and leave to dry thoroughly. Seal twice. 4/5 hrs between coats. 12 hrs after final coat before grouting.
Use 2 washboys when cleaning off grout - plenty changes of water. Use a small sponge as well to clean ridges on tiles as well as using washboy sponge.
I would personally never use a customer supplied sealer unless it is one I know and trust. I always use LTP sealers.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to another urgent in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi, We washed our Indian slate floor with stone floor cleaner and whilst it has cleaned them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello to the forum. I am a carpenter and have undertaken tiling in my own house. I completed the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.