UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Any alternative to taking up old tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You can tile over them sure, as long as there are no height issues etc.

Remember that they'll only ever be as stuck as the original tiles though.

When setting out, make sure you don't match the grout joints if using the same size tile. You want one new tile over as many old tiles as possible (if that makes sense).

B

bugs183

Thats cool then.
Primer wise there's some different views here. Some chaps would put and additive in the adhesive to get it to stick to the tile, but this will stick to the face of the terracotta and be a nightmmare!
Some guys would use rapid set adhesive and mix it with SBR primer and slurry that onto the old tiles..
There's a great product made by Mapei called Eco Prim Grip. Clean and wash down the old tiles, leave to dry overnight, then rioller this product over them, it sticks like nothing on earth and can be tiled on in about 4 hours, fab stuff.

C

confusedyouwill

Ok, change of plan...

The sample of the terracotta tiles I intended to buy didn't live up to expectations. As an alternative, we've been given enough reclaimed old multi stock bricks to cover half the floor. They are free of old mortar and have been pressure washed. So, essentially they are like old flooring bricks, just thicker (2.5 inches).

So, bearing in mind that the old tiles are still down (had a go at lifting them by hand yesterday, no go. Didn't even crack when hit with a hammer), how would you go about laying these bricks. Thick bed adhesive or sand and cement? Can I still use the Mapei Eco Primgrip? Or do the old tiles really have to come up?

C

confusedyouwill

Hi Dan, yep I've bit the bullet and tomorrow I'm gonna buy a chiseling SDS drill to get the old tiles up.
Undecided about the other half. I'm keeping my eyes open for some more old bricks. I may end up buying some reclaimed ones, or even go for reclaimed floorboards. Don't know how I'd manage the join with floorboards though. Hopefully I'll come across something suitable soon, but no rush really. The kitchen end is my priority.

Now I just have to decide on laying with 4-1 sand/cement or tile adhesive.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Any alternative to taking up old tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I was hoping for some advice. I have large white tiles in my kitchen who a friend laid. I was...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
We had our kitchen floor tiled in large plank-style porcelain tiles (90cm x 15cm) about 2 years...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.