Discuss any reason why 60 x 60 tiles cant be envelope cut into wetroom tray? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

trusz

Had a tiler come round to give a quote for tiling my bathroom.

I have 60x60 porcelain to go on the floor and wanted them envelope cut into the wetroom tray.

The guy was very against the whole thing and said I should only really be using mosaic.

I've spent quite a few weeks reading these forums and various websites. I've seen dozens of photos of envelope cut wetrooms.

I tried to explain how I think it should be done. He said that he wouldn't cut porcelain for a shower because I would end up with cut feet from the sharp edges. He said he wouldn't take on the job if that was what I was set on.

When I mentioned that I would prefer having an external corner mitred rather than trimmed for a cleaner look, he pushed me towards trim and said people don't have mitres any more.

Have I completely missed something in my research and asking too much, or is this guy just lacking in the skills required for what I want?

I think I just need some reassurance that I'm not asking the impossible and my expectations aren't over the top.

gamma38

TF
Bedford
Re: any reason why 60 x 60 tiles cant be envelope cut into wetroom tra

is that a foam former or a plastic one ??
I think they are plastic Deano, or resin can't remember. I fitted one a while back, pretty good from memory. A bit like the impey easy fit in that you don't need full under tray support.

M

Mr Tiler

Nothing wrong with it it's lovely but it can be a bit hostile if you are English and working there lol :sofahide:
I realised this when I was 13.... went on a school trip to towers and on a dark night we were all walking through then woods... left by our mentors trying to fins our way back to the facility.... then we came across a big road sign (half in English other half in welsh) lines had been sprayed over in paint and at the bottom it said 'screw' the English.... easy to say we were all on our toes lol.

T

trusz

is that a foam former or a plastic one ??

Some sort of reinforced plastic. Gamma is right. Its pretty solid. Doesn't need full support. It's over joists but there's a couple of noggins underneath for good measure.

I have only had one tiler on here offer to come and take a look so far. Wales is definitely under represented on these boards! If anyone else is interested, send me a pm...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to any reason why 60 x 60 tiles cant be envelope cut into wetroom tray? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB