Discuss anybody tiled over this ufh overlay? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Probably would Doug, as its not fixed, so therefore it's floating.

Did you voice your concerns at the time? Cos if you did it's not what he wanted to hear, but as we've said before there will be someone who will.

I wouldn't go anywhere near that unless they wanted laminate or carpet over it.

I

Ian

I've recently done this Doug, and I voiced my concerns to the plumber at the time, asking if it would be fixed down. He said it would be screwed down to the substrate, in these pics you can see the beginning of the install that had to be put in under the stud wall
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367768427.236441.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367768467.802711.jpg

With the rest of the floor I asked for the boards to be glued and screwed, as would be done with cement board, it provided a deflection free substrate that I was happy to tile to, here is a pic of the floor 90% complete
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367768614.652730.jpg

Still not finished yet, still some skirtings and finishing to do. This is porcelanosa slate.

D

Dave H

Hi Doug, was going to post same question, had a meeting on site today with polypipe rep architect and builder, this has been specified on a refurb job where floors are all differing levels! first the rep said it is loose laid, then he said it could be fixed down, once laid and stuck together with their glue, he said it can be tiled over with " any flexible adhesive", though he was unwilling to give me any particular brands who would guarantee this. I have spoken to Ardex who wont recomend any products as have never tested on it, Bal will only recomend tiling over it if a tilebacker board is mechanically fixed over it and usind singlepart fastflex, but no one will give a spec and guarantee, am waiting for the rep to give me their recomendation,. interested to hear other tilers thoughts

I did a large floor ( 140 sqm ) with this system. Polypipe originally stated that there product could have the tiles fixed directly over the top of the pipes using any flexy adhesive which set the alarm bells ringing immediately. Got bal Tec involved and they specified the ufh boards be fixed to concrete floor then hardi boards glued n screwed then ready for tile (no decoupling membrane but tiles fixed using single part fast flex. This was over three years ago and there hasn't been any issues at all with the install.

oh Polypipe has risen its head again......

ok, ive had issues with the system for a while now.

So, what do tilers/adhesive manufacturers spec when tiling over Polypipe UFH?

Well guys, guess what, ive just called 01709 770000 Polypipe Technical.

I stated that i had a customer who was installing the Polypipe overlay system, can this be tiled straight ontop?

"Yes, all you need is a flexible adhesive"

Any particular manufacturer i asked?

"No, as long as its flexible you'll be fine"

[video=youtube_share;Bdk3l7-FNRY]http://youtu.be/Bdk3l7-FNRY[/video]

i have issues with the video's

57 sec into the overlay video, the chap says that it tiles are layed and adhered directly onto the system, this goes against what adhesive suppliers we use say, so who is right?

Why use 6mm ply only over the over-lay lite, and not the over-lay?

With so many places selling these, how many times have the adhesive reps been out to failures?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Lee i will gladly go back with builder/plumber/polypipe and the tta if need be if it goes boobies up,the job was done by the book, to all the aboves speck.
the customer was there when i was not very happy about it, even he was arguing with plumber/builder because of what i explained, so when they said " ive done loads of these and been tiled with no prob" ;)
So he just told me too go ahead.
We will see mate

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to anybody tiled over this ufh overlay? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Need some advice. I've laid down polypipe plus overlay boards in my house. My tiler says we...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello I’m in Hampton SW London and have a floor problem. Wunda UFH water heating was installed...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB