Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Applying adhesive in a small space in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DazJWood

I have measured and planned out my tiling (I think). I have 200 wide by 410 length travertine tiles.

I have worked it out (hopefully) so that I don't end up with silly small strips around windows sills, bath, shower tray and some recesses I have built in.

I am sure this is a stupid question but nevertheless here goes:

I will have a strip running around the bath tray that is just smaller than the trowel width.

When I batten the wall for the first full tile above the shower tray then fit my tiles I am then a little confused as to the best way to fix the tiles below the batten. Once they have set and I remove the batten how then do I apply the adhesive and create the ridges? I could use a wallpaper scraper to get the adhesive on but then how I run the trowel through it if it's just to wide? Do I just use the smaller end of the trowel and do many downward ridges.

I've probably not explained that very well but to summarise, in different words, if you have a space to tile that a trowel cannot fit in how do you do it? (Lots of downward strokes with the small width of the trowel?)

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance,

Daz

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Hey thanks to all!

When you back butter the tile, do you just apply the adhesive and then put the ridges in as you would do for the wall?

Thanks,

Daz
Daz, in this instance you apply the adhesive to the back of your tile with your notched trowel. i.e. comb the back of your tile with adhesive. The end result will be a tile with ridges of adhesive. However, if you were laying natural stone like marble then you would spread adhesive on the wall or floor, but you would also spread adhesive onto your tile. Only this time you would use the flat part of your trowel. You would then scrape the adhesive off your tile (leaving a very thin layer of adhesive). Cheers Sean

Reply to Applying adhesive in a small space in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Applying adhesive in a small space
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.