UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Applying Grout with Marshall Float in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

siremastimus

Hi all, bought a marshall float from trader tiler and see one side has rounded edges and the other a straight edge - silly question but which edge do you use to apply the grout? Is it both - the straight edge to generally apply to the tiles and the rounded edge to work into the gaps? Also when wiping over with sponge should water be warm or cold straight from the tap? As you can probably tell I having tiled for a while but want to make sure I am as well prepared as poss! Thanks

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
The main part you're using is the longer side of it. You push the grout diagonally into the joint and then use the flat long edge to get all the grout off the tile surface. Then you mainly use your sponge (or your finger if you don't mind small cuts on the ends of them after grouting 1 wall!!) to make the grout lines look neat.

The fact the float has round edges on one end and square on the other is just to give tilers a chance of using them here and there in tricky parts. But you wouldn't use them for the whole wall it'd take years to finish up on a large job.

Ignore the fact it has rounded and squared corners until you actually spot a use for them (which you will do as Phil said internal corners are spot on for the square edged end) and just concentrate on using the flat edges to get all the grout you can off the tile face. Then get the sponge out and do circular motions across the whole tile area. Then clean the sponge, and use your 6 clean sides of it to do 6 grout lines, then rinse the sponge again and repeat.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Applying Grout with Marshall Float in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new here and I need some desperate help. Recently got my dad to tile my kitchen...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.