UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Applying sealer to large travertine floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

_Adrian

Hello again!

I've laid my travertine (tumbled and unfilled) floor and have thoroughly cleaned it, and allowed it to dry. After some reading on here and a call to LTP, I've decided to seal (LTP Mattstone) prior to grouting (as recommended by them. I know opinions differ on this, but I'm just going to do it!). My question is about application of the sealer over a large area. The room is about 6m x 5m, and LTP suggest applying the sealer then after an hour wiping off any excess... but if I do this I'll have to walk on the floor. Is this what you guys do - and it doesn't mark / leave footprints in the sealer?

My plan B was to work in a strip that I can reach, then wipe off excess almost as I'm going. This won't give the sealer the hour LTP recommend (well, I suppose it could if I did a strip per hour, but would rather not wait!) but does that hour need to be strictly adhered to?

Just wondering what you guys normally do.

Thanks,

Adrian

A

_Adrian

Sealed the floor this morning - went really well. Paintpad works much better than a foam roller which I'd used once before. Applied the sealer all in one go, then walked around the block (house in the middle of a terrace!) and through the front door to where I'd started :) Then put on some overshoes (great idea, thanks) and even taped a couple of plastic bags over my knees, then set to on the buffing... Karate Kid moment... wax on, wax off...

Thanks for all the advice.

If it is unfilled i would grout before applying sealer.

Oh well, too late. I did ask LTP and they recommended sealing first. I hope it'll be OK...

M

Mike

Sealed the floor this morning - went really well. Paintpad works much better than a foam roller which I'd used once before. Applied the sealer all in one go, then walked around the block (house in the middle of a terrace!) and through the front door to where I'd started :) Then put on some overshoes (great idea, thanks) and even taped a couple of plastic bags over my knees, then set to on the buffing... Karate Kid moment... wax on, wax off...

Thanks for all the advice.

Oh well, too late. I did ask LTP and they recommended sealing first. I hope it'll be OK...

Some seal first, some after, it depends how well you want the pits/holes filled. They will fill more if grouted unsealed.

tapatalk on my HTC

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Applying sealer to large travertine floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi ppl Need advice regarding sealing kitchen tiles. I believe I have lappato tile laid on my...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.