Discuss Apprenticeships in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sean fsy

The company i do most of my work for had a new apprentice start a couple of weeks ago, He is on a 2 week trial period which is coming to a close. He was telling me that the college pays him an amount every week. Now amongst the things he was telling me was that the college do not have any courses on tiling and likes of bathroom installation. Also is it true that the goverment actually give the employers an amount of money to pay the apprentice? The lad also stated that they can only employ them if the agree to a 2 year apprenticeship? The lad is really keen and a great help and very eager to learn. As anyone on here had an apprentice work for them before? I understand that you will have to take out more insurance to cover them working with you etc( not sure but i think he said the goverment pay towards this) Im just after any info regarding apprentices really.

Many Thanks Sean.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
My mate had an apprentice and now he's on minimum wage still learning after passing his Mechanics course thing at college (one day a week). He was on a small wage from the business, and I don't think he got topped up anywhere else. And as far as I'm aware his small wage came out of the business and wasn't paid for by the government or whatever. Not 100% on that one to be honest.

I'd give either your accountant a bell, or eeeeerm. Not too sure who else you'd contact to be honest? Perhaps a college or two?

D

Deleted member 9966

Same as Dan for me. Our apprentice is training to be a mechanical fitter within our engineering and maintenance team and we get no support from the college or the government. And to be honest, we don't want that kind of support. We're paying our apprentice National Minimum Wage which is actually more than the Apprenticeship wage that the government says we are allowed to pay. So we pay more to ensure we get more effort and commitment from our apprentice.

S

Stewart

I've always got an apprentice through the CITB, and let me tell you..... the money i get is a waste of time. The endless paper work, the falling out with their reps and their inadequate testing and grading at the college makes me wonder why i do it some times. My last guy, who was in his second year, was teaching the lecturer the correct methods on fixing porcelain. The guy was an ex brickie, with no history of tiling whatsoever.

I don't send them to college anymore and have them graded on site, to keep their paper work up to date. I enjoy having an apprentice and moulding them into quality tradesmen. 2 turned out really well and now both work for themselves. The third was a waste of space and scraped through to get his qualifications. the guy I have just now is a dream and is gonna be the best of the lot.

If your thinking about it, you do have to be in a position to afford one. The money you get is paid at the end of the year and would only contribute a fifth of the cost. It's a long term commitment and could be a poisoned chalice if you're not busy or get a guy/gal thats not committed to the job. You can get loads of info on the tinternet.

A

Ant

Hi All

If anyone is looking for a commited apprentice in Oldham-Manchester area, give me a call. I'll work for national minimum, would love to do an NVQ (site assessed or whichever).

I paid for and did a 1 week plastering/1 week tiling course a few month back and have since been trying to start out on my own, but really struggling for calls. Tiling my mums bathroom at mo in 60x30 glazed porcelain - my first job, going well. Pics to follow soon.

Thanks

Ant

If anyone want

S

SandyFloor

It really is changed days. My father and uncle had a steel fabrication business. Up until about 1985 two apprentices were taken on every year and the first year was entirely in a trade training college. The next three years were day release and log books filled in weekly. There wasn't any funding then either. It was regarded as an investment as in those days the boys would stay with the company for many years afterwards. My brother and I had a smaller company and we would take one apprentice a year and do the same. It all fell apart when large international aerospace companies were investing in the area and a lot of the boys were leaving shortly after serving their time to get a wage we couldn't compete with. Eventually it got to the point we were paying to train apprentices for larger wealthier companies and it all came to a halt.

P

Peter

Not sure if it's still the same but in 2003 (when I was the newest bucket mixer in town) the tech/government gave the employer the equivilent of around £40 a week. Gave all apprentices £40 plus travel (about £10) plus whatever your boss gave you.

Two week trial sounds like a good idea. The squad I served my time to had about 6 or 7 apprentices throughout that time, think I'm the only one that's stuck at it along with one other lad who had the potential to be a cracking tiler until his life tragically ended.

Suppose the reality is that most 16 year olds would rather mess about and smoke dope rather than get 20 quid a week for having to lift boxes, mix buckets and get shouted at. From what I've noticed though, within two weeks you'll be able to suss out who'll be good and who won't. One lad started with us who didn't know what grout was, and walked all over freshly laid tiles on a daily basis. :mad2:

M

mikethetile

what your saying is true sean, the government has been paying firms to take on apprentices, I looked into this last year and have decided that when the time is right I will take a lad or lass who has done the first two years at college and then send them back for the third year. I was told £90 per week to pay them and and cover training costs. however when I went down with my daughter who wants to learn retail I was told this funding has been pulled and is no longer available

those who claim that government has never contributed towards training are wrong as its alway was tax deductable, but those that have said its cost them money are correct as the true costs are always higher than the amount allowed

back in the early eighties there was a change in the tax laws on this which made apprenticeships unviable. the government responded with the yts scheme followed by the nvq scheme, more recently tthe government set up help with the cost of training, this funding has now been pulled

my daughter has now found two days a week working foc on a market stall to gain work experiance, at 17 she cannot claim benefits or work for the large retailers as their minimum age is 18

I think for the benefit of our country we all need to think seriously about training youngsters

S

Sean fsy

i Just think its a shame as i see really good lads who are willing to listen and learn something like tiling, Not only is it a chance to teach someone a skill but they can come in very handy, now im getting more and more into the fitting and installation side of things im sure i could use a helpful hand and the extra money can help go towards taking a apprentice. I will ask the young lad some questions tomorrow and see whats what. None of us know what the next 6 months will bring and if the college insist in a 2 year position things could be difficult.

Reply to Apprenticeships in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Had a tiler in to tile a living room (12m2). Bought the tiles ourselves. Came home to the job...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m not an experienced tradesperson by any means, so wanted to pose a question on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Apprenticeships
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.