Discuss Aquaboard prep & adhesive advice? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

steved21

Hi all,

I've stripped my en-suite and replaced the three shower cubicle plasterboard walls with Wickes Aquaboard. This needed doing as removing the tiles completely destroyed the plasterboard. The Aquaboard is fixed to studwork using the correct ceramic coated screws and all joins filled with the Aquaboard silicone.

So, regarding correct prep and adhesive for tiling the Aquaboard ......

I am planning to tank the Aquaboard first as recommended in many threads on here (as the board is not actually waterproof - but is just designed to maintain its integrity when wet). My questions are .....

1. It appears to be recommended to 'skim' the Aquaboard with tile adhesive before tanking. I presume this is because the tanking doesn't take properly if applied directly to the Aquaboard. So question is, what type of adhesive should I use for this? Mapei or Weber appear to be good recommendations and I presume I should use a cementitious one? Any thoughts on what characteristics to opt for this application? - i.e. normal/improved adhesive, fast setting, flexible, etc.

2. I am planning on using the Dunlop tanking kit. Will this be ok? Any thoughts or other recommendations?

3. Regarding tile adhesive to actually do the tiling - will the same cementitious adhesive used for skimming the Aquaboard be ok for the tiling? & again, what characteristics should I opt for?

4. & lastly, same for grout - what are peoples grout recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

R

Rich

I dont use aqua board or the dunlop tanking kit so Im not sure of what they recommend. Do they state that the walls need to be skimmed or do they state that the membrane needs to be stuck using a tile adhesive?

Defiantly use a cement based adhesive, i would go for a single part flexi adhesive, I use Mapei so would recommend Keraquick. What tiles are you using on the walls? This will dictate which adhesive and grout to use for fixing.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Aquaboard prep & adhesive advice? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need an adhesive suitable for 20x20cm cement encaustic tiles on unskimmed plasterboard...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Aquaboard prep & adhesive advice?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.