Discuss Are all acrylic primers alike? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dandan

Accepting the point that PVA is best avoided when tiling: Does it matter which acrylic primer I use ... BAL or Mapei... or indeed the copious amounts of 'Setcrete acrylic primer' I bought for priming a floor before using Setcrete's floor levelling compound? Are they all essentially the same thing or do I really have to buy each manufacturers recommended primer?

While we're on the subject, do they have a shelf life?

Many thanks in advance.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
They usually do have a shelf life I think. Might need to check the batch with the manufacturer. I know adhesive goes off.

Also how it has been stored comes into play. Needs to be at a certain temperature (or rather, not below a certain temperature, usually).

As for the brand mixing - the thing is, if you have an issue down the line, and the adhesive firm says it's down to the primer, and the primer firm says it's down to the adhesive, you're pretty much stuck. They don't argue and will both do a report and possibly (not always but maybe) wriggle out of it.

So it's usually wise to use one brand where possible.

How much do you need?

Q

Qwerty

They are all very similar. Some will be different colours, application methods or characteristics but essentially they are the same. Always best to use the same primers as recommended by the adhesive manufacturer you will be using.

If setcrete say to use their primer, it suits your requirements then I would use it.

As for shelf life......12 months usually (unopened) and maybe a couple of months less if opened. They have to be kept away from freezing temperatures as it can ruin the acrylic inside. Ruined acrylic primer using smells like rotten eggs (no idea why but it does).

Be mindful of buying primers from people other than retailers as I have heard of chances selling watered down primers!!!

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Would a firm make their polymers match their adhesives when it comes to particle sizes etc?
No. It is perfectly reasonable to use an adhesive from one company with a primer from another from a purely technical standpoint as long as both are used according to their relative manufacturers instructions. However from a more pragmatic approach you avoid the inevitable issues of one blaming another in the event that something goes wrong.

D

dandan

Thankyou for your prompt and informative responses gents.

It seems the consensus is:

All other things being equal, it is technically OK to use x manufacturers primer with y manufacturers adhesive, but if anything goes wrong with the job I can blame nobody but myself.

I think I shall take full responsibility and use up my leftover primer before it goes off.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Are all acrylic primers alike? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

So I may have done an oopsie. We are putting self-levelling compound down over floor where I...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm getting towards the end of a major renovation that has taken 4+ years so don't...
Replies
Views
G
Hi guys, sorry for long post, just after a bit of advice regarding my first proper complaint...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB