UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Asbestos in artex in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GatesheadCol

No No No No No

Do not strip it and just use a face mask.

This is very dangerous stuff, trust me my grandad, dad and 2 uncles died of asbestosis.

The guys that do it properly look like theyre working in a bio-lab with the amount of safety gear they have.

Yes its true that only certain types of asbestos can cause the real damage, but there is no way to tell which one you have without putting it under a microscope.

This stuff is not only dangerous to you when removing it, its also dangerous to anyone in your house when you come home with the fibres all over your clothes and then strip off. They float everywhere. Plenty of women have died from asbestosis too and all they did was wash their husbands work gear.

If its not doing anything leave it and cover it up with plenty of off the shelf products, its only dangerous when drilled, broken, or pulled out. thats when it breaks up.

It costs hundreds and sometimes thousands to get this removed properly and there is good reason for the cost.

Dont touch it, it sits for years without any signs showing.

S

sibs

No No No No No

Do not strip it and just use a face mask.

This is very dangerous stuff, trust me my grandad, dad and 2 uncles died of asbestosis.

The guys that do it properly look like theyre working in a bio-lab with the amount of safety gear they have.

Yes its true that only certain types of asbestos can cause the real damage, but there is no way to tell which one you have without putting it under a microscope.

This stuff is not only dangerous to you when removing it, its also dangerous to anyone in your house when you come home with the fibres all over your clothes and then strip off. They float everywhere. Plenty of women have died from asbestosis too and all they did was wash their husbands work gear.

If its not doing anything leave it and cover it up with plenty of off the shelf products, its only dangerous when drilled, broken, or pulled out. thats when it breaks up.

It costs hundreds and sometimes thousands to get this removed properly and there is good reason for the cost.

Dont touch it, it sits for years without any signs showing.

I'm kinda coming to that conclusion too GatesheadCol. I think sometimes people don't take asbestos seriously enough. I've been looking on the HSE website about it and got some good information from there. I don't think I'll be removing any now as gotta give em a quote for skimming over.
Thanks for all your replies

C

cocojambo

Asbestos was banned in consumer & industrial products between the 1980s and 2000.... Here's a useful information paragraph from the asbestos & mesothelioma website

Asbestos was banned from use near gas fireplaces and wallboard patching compounds by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in the early 1980s. In 1989, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) banned all new uses of Asbestos and required all schools to inspect their building compounds for presence of asbestos fibers and ordered immediate asbestos abatement. In August 2000, the EPA ordered an investigation inquiry into the use of vermiculite asbestos in gardening products. The study concluded that vermiculite asbestos posed minimal health risks and the EPA advised gardening consumers to minimize emission of dust whilst gardening. The EPA also suggested consumers use vermiculite in well ventilated areas only and keep it damp. It was also suggested to use premixed potting soil which is less likely to emit dust. In June 2000, the EPA determined that asbestos fibers that reside in crayons & pencils did not pose a health risk to children using them, although crayon manufacturers agreed to eliminate the use of talc in their products. According to Cancer.Gov, the use of asbestos in the US has decline from 803,000 metric tons in 1973 to only 2,400 metric tons in 2005.

B

BDS

Doug was talking to a plastering friend of mine about this yesterday,i`ve got a job doing bathroom and customer wants downlighters or some other new fandagled lights in,so asked friend if he wanted the work doing ceiling said yeah so when i said to him about taking artex of and skiming he told me the same that they used asbestos in the artex i didn`t know that,he said it would be better to just skim over,so learnt something else new

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Some of the threads in the tiling forum that have had a lot of views are being bumped up into current discussion. Just walk on by if it's not your flavour right now. Perhaps it'll help somebody out one day, and they become members, and then they post a thread, and professional tilers respond, and then you learn something from them...? Maybe?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Asbestos in artex in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.