Discuss B and Q launch fixing service in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
[h=1]B&Q launch fixing service[/h]Last week saw the launch of B&Q Homefitdesigned to provide customers with an easy solution to address those DIY tasks that they either can't undertake themselves.
B&Q Homefit provides customers access to fully qualified and vetted local tradesmen at pre-agreed fixed prices, removing questions about working with unknown tradesmen. B&Q will be charging a minimum of £39 per sqm for tiling.
In addition to B&Q offering full room solutions for kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms, B&Q Homefit offers a growing suite of handy smaller project solutions for every room in the home, including tiling.
Customers will call a central B&Q Homefit number when an approved Homefit installer will arrange a home survey.
Concerns about costs and lack of trust in the practices of some tradesmen may prompt customers to carry out overly-challenging DIY tasks themselves. However, research showed that it costs Brits around £1.5 million a year to fix botched DIY tasks — particularly those that were too challenging or that should only have ever been carried out by professionals.
Billy Quinn, Director of Installations, B&Q, commented: "We encourage our customers to enjoy DIY by providing in-store classes, expert help and advice in store and online, but some want hands on help and for a job to be done for them — with B&Q Homefit, we now give them that choice too. B&Q Homefit also covers tasks that, by law — installations involving gas, such as boiler installation, and electrics — should always be carried out by a professional, registered tradesmen."

That's the press release going about the place.

A

AMtek

I think I may test the water with this one. I'll go into B&Q as a prospective customer and see what sort of adhesives and prep work they are recommending. How can they possibly give a per m2 price, as we all know every job is different. This has quite clearly had very little thought go into it.

All the big double glazing companies have fixed prices for their products, they just charge through the nose so they can cover the hit on nightmare jobs. sounds like that is what B&Q are doing to me but as we know the cost difference to prep one area from another can be massive and i'm not sure they have thought about that

J

johnryan

just read their installation service page, it goes as follows;
2. Planning your bathroom with B&Q

It costs nothing to plan and design your ideal bathroom with the help of our professional design consultants.

• Guidance and advice through the planning and design phase
  • Scope, design, product choice and financing options all mapped out
  • Free kick-off meeting with a consultant from your local B&Q store
  • 3. Our professional installation services

When you’re satisfied that you’ve chosen the perfect components for your new bathroom, we’ll take it from there. No need to ring around; we cover every aspect of your fit, at every stage.
    • Start-to-finish local project management
    • Home survey and building regulations advice
    • Delivery, fitting, plumbing, tiling, flooring, plastering, electrics and joinery
    • We only work with accredited, qualified and experienced trade professionals; and with 15 years’ experience – and over 500,000 rooms fitted – you’re in safe hands with B&Q.
    • Payment protection from beginning to end
    • Experienced and qualified trade professionals
    • A market-leading 5-year workmanship guarantee
    • the usual guff from big companies like these, but if they're giving 5 year warranties on their work then i bet they'll get a lot of work, as most people have no idea when choosing builders etc. they also sell prepayment insurance policies with the service too:thumbsdown:

merit

TF
i did some work for a plumber who took on the full install on b and q bathrooms, tiles
were all sizes ,never enough or way too many, plumber was forever chasing missing items, i jacked it in cos too much hassle, theyll be some ructions when they start fixing the tiles that pitcure frame, hold the grout to leave residues ect, have more lips than jagger,some people dont know when they are getting a crap job so 8 of 10 will accept it,
thats what we are up against

Reply to B and Q launch fixing service in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
S
My combi drill just gave up the ghost, was passing so just been in B&Q to see what deals they...
Replies
Views
Fitted kitchen and bathroom company, Gardners, fully recommend and approve the Ultra Tile range...
Replies
Views
Total sales at the Kingfisher retailer B&Q fell by 5.7% to £913m during the 13 weeks to...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB