b&q

Discuss b&q in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jasonj

Last year i did 30 bathroom fits for B&Q as a sub contractor via my carpenter who is a main contractor to B&Q mainly on their kitchen fits. He then took on the bathrooms. There are a few things to take into account with going to B&Q as a contractor.

1. You must have a CRB check done on you.

2. You must have a minimum of two million pounds public liability insurance

3. Any plumber must have an up to date Gas Safe Certificate and insured to two million pounds

4. Electricians must be fully qualified part P certified and insured to two million pounds

5. Tiling with their tiles..................

To be honest, and as unpopular as i may sound i have had worse tiles from Topps and local suppliers on my private work. In 2009 B&Q had half a million in compensation claims against their tiles, particularly the polished porcelain against them. They do buy end of batch stock and seconds from major tile manufacturers in the UK & abroad. So over the past year they have improved their product range and product suppliers.

And if im honest, last year i only ever had 1 issue with their tiles and they were Mocha wall tiles. The work is not the best paid but at the time is was a means to an end as where i live everybody seemed to be going to B&Q for the 3 or 5 years interest free credit option for kitchen & bathroom installations.

They charge the customer a minimum of £55 per metre for labour only and the customer buys the tiles on top! Around my area £20 per metre plus materials is the average rate for porcelain & ceramics. B&Q, depending on your area will pay you £24 per metre and in that you have to supply the materials and ontop of that you have to deduct your 20% CIS tax. I had to change my materials from Mapei to Weber purely for the price of the materials and now have 100% converted to the Weber products as i have tried & tested them and for the price the Weber products have saved me money...alot of money.

Unless you know a local contractor to B&Q it is very difficult to go to them just as a tiler. If you have a plumber & carpenter then you stand alot more chance of getting work from them as a team. Currently they seem to have the market on bathroom installations and trust me they charge big time to the customer! When i started it used to get right up my nose everyday, but once you get your head around the fact that they earn 100% just off you, you have to be proffessional about it and weigh up wheather or not your private work will keep you afloat alone or having regular work form them.

It is hard work but you can make a living from it. I hope this helps you see the overall picture of what it is like and i am able to answer your questions at anytime. Get your disclosures done and apply to their Central Distribution Centre and ask to speak to the Site Manager and he or she will send you a fitters pack with all the information you need.

Good luck

Jase

Reply to b&q in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I'm Looking For This Tile Looking for some old b&q tiles
Hi! Has anyone got any of these stone effect tiles approx 278x362mm that b&q sold about seven...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

py rookie

Arms
TF
torquay,devon
Business Name
paul the tiler

Thread Information

Title
b&q
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.