UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Bad walls after hacking off old tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Surrey
Up to now, and before seeing the error of my ways by reading all the good advice on here - I have always just tiled straight on the mess that was left after taking off old tiles following suitable preparation.

Well I ain't going to mess around like that anymore, from now on it will be suitable new boards suitably fastened over the old surface to provide a nice flat new surface that will also more likely use less adhesive and be way more easy to tile on :smilewinkgrin:

No problem with that on plain or window walls but what about the door wall? surely adding a layer of something will bring everything out past the lining/architrave? whats the best way to get over poor walls when depth is an issue due to the door lining etc?

Surrey
You could use some plained timber to build up the frame to the finished surface of your new wall but step the timber back so it is'nt flush with the frame otherwise it will forever cracking IMO.

I suppose that's one option but I didn't think the pro's would do it like that - if the wall was rough what would you normally do, hack off and re-plaster or skim over whats there or dot and dab new boards?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bad walls after hacking off old tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, don't know if anyone can help but I'm having real difficulty getting tiles to stick to the...
Replies
Views
Hello, i hope someone can give me some advice please. I’m planning on tiling our bathroom walls...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.