UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss badly laid tiles - help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

milomanski

HI - Need Ive recently had 12mmx600x600m white polished quartz tiles laid in my kitchen.

My contractor, I was told, was a good tiler however the tiles have been really poorly laid. I have some that are 2mm higher than others and different joint sizes ranging from 2mm to next to nothing.

I have underfloor heating which I fear may be damaged by removal of the tiles. So I have two quesitons

1. Is there any mileage in pursuing lifting up the tiles or not?

2. I understand that it may be possible to have the tiles sanded and polished down to take out the different levels - is this true? and can anyone point me in the right direction of someone who does this in the Brighton area?

I think I can live with the variations in joint size but I am really keen to level the tiles.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer

B

Bubblecraft

Quartz is not recommended for UFH. There is an increase on cheap Chinese quartz & other composite resin based tiles which can curl at the corners. Resin based tiles are not recommended with UFH. Other composite tiles such as Galaxy, Starlight & Stardust are also not suitable due to the metal flakes which can cause the floor to spark.
Agree with all statements above. There is a good chance that the UFH could be damaged when removing if tiled direct on top of electric UFH. If a screed on top of the UFH, there is a chance it could be removed without damage. It all depends on the type of adhesive used. With it being a contractor who cannot tile, there is a chance that he may have used the incorrect type of adhesive, ready mixed/tubbed adhesive for example, which will work to your advantage & make removal relatively easy. Did you see what type of adhesive was used?
2mm or less is far too small for a floor. 3mm should be minimum. I would not recommend trying to level this floor by buffing & polishing. It would be impractical.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

Quartz is not recommended for UFH. There is an increase on cheap Chinese quartz & other composite resin based tiles which can curl at the corners. Resin based tiles are not recommended with UFH. Other composite tiles such as Galaxy, Starlight & Stardust are also not suitable due to the metal flakes which can cause the floor to spark.
Agree with all statements above. There is a good chance that the UFH could be damaged when removing if tiled direct on top of electric UFH. If a screed on top of the UFH, there is a chance it could be removed without damage. It all depends on the type of adhesive used. With it being a contractor who cannot tile, there is a chance that he may have used the incorrect type of adhesive, ready mixed/tubbed adhesive for example, which will work to your advantage & make removal relatively easy. Did you see what type of adhesive was used?
2mm or less is far too small for a floor. 3mm should be minimum. I would not recommend trying to level this floor by buffing & polishing. It would be impractical.

You could'nt expand on that one please.....

W

White Room

Do you mean elaborate Mark? Tiles with metal flakes such as galaxy granite, starlight conglomerate marble etc are prone to spark with electric underfloor heating & so is not recommended. The current that flows through the UFH causes the flakes to magnetically charge & spark.

Don't tell the customers otherwise there'll all want it:smart:

Never heard that before.

M

milomanski

hi all thanks for your replies.

To answer your questions.

1.I believe the builder used rapid set adhesive, mixed from the bag on site
2. The UFH was laid, then a thin layer of self levelling compound laid over the top by thin I mean a matter of a few mm.
3. The tiles were approved by the supplier for use with electric underfloor heating - I have tested it now the tiles are down and it works really well - no sparking, room warms quickly.
3. I told the builder that I wanted as small a joint as possible to which he advised me 2mm was the minimum distance.
4. I take it the general consensus is
polishing out impractical
removal is likely to damage UFH

so live with it and next time take the tiling work out of the builders remit?

thanks again for you help

S

StevieBoy

Hi, I've just read through all this and would just like to offer my opinion.

If the floor was primed prior to the ufh and self levelling going down, you may be lucky in that the tiles when removed, may not disturb whats underneath.

Its a long shot, as I doubt that primer would have been used so therefore if you try to lift the tiles, its likely that the adhesive (presuming the correct one was used) will have stuck to both tile and self levelling compound.
Resulting in all of it coming up, and damaging the ufh.

Its so frustrating to hear of stories like this, as I'm sure this is not the first time.

Sorry I can't offer a positive on this, but hope this helps somehow.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to badly laid tiles - help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, hoping someone can help with advice. We purchased 600 x 600 tiles for our bathroom floor...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.