UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Balcony Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mike88

I've read other posts on this subject but remain confused - nothing new there!

I have a 2.9 x 2.7 metre balcony covered in mineral felt on 20mm ply with paving slabs on top. It is incredibly well supported below with thick joists so does not flex other than normal expansion and contraction. There is a room below. It is leaking and want to tile it.

I've consulted two tilers and have two answers, neither of which I'm convinced is right especially as both have told me to get the tiles and adhesives first and didn't seem to appreciate that I could end up buying something completely unsuitable.

The existing roof is leaking. As the roof covering probably needs to be replaced I want to know the best base for tiling on:

1. Mineral Felt

2. Fibreglass

3. Butyl Rubber

4. Anything else.

5. What about a screed over existing damaged felt.? If so what.

Advice on the correct adhesive would also be helpful.

I've looked at Walmac(???) balcony matting but at £340 for a 20 metre role I'll have a lot left over and there is a balcony system by Schlur(???) which is out of my price range.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm also looking for somebody to do the job in South Devon

Many thanks.

nybor62

TF
rotherham
imo i would obviously remove the slabs and felt and see what condition the ply is in and how thick it is, min 15mm thick,

if the ply is ok you could dpm the ply then over board the ply with cement boards , i,e aqua pannel, then tile hope this help im sure others will have
some more info any pics of balcony please, what about height difference once the slabs are removed is this a problem

M

mike88

Thank you for your replies. Over the past day I have spent a lot of time researching this subject and have found another possible solution.

I have come across Promenade Tiles which are specifically made for balconies as well as other outdoor/walkway applications and can be fixed to asphalt and mineral roofs with a special adhesive.

The tiles are made from a concrete/fibre composite and comply with BS/ISO certification. The tiles come in various colours , are 10mm thick and are 300 x 300 mm in size.

The tiles can be laid on an asphalt roof with a special adhesive which is a liquid substance that expands as it comes into contact with air. The tiles can also be laid on a mineral roof but fixing can be tricky as shims must be used to get over the uneven surfaces and felt overlaps.

A link to the manufacturer's website with technical data, fixing instructions etc is here:

Castle Composites - Promenade Tiles - Promenade Slabs - Balcony Tiles - Flat Roof Tiles - Walkway Tiles

I am not a tiler and have no idea if this is a good solution but I reproduce my findings here for the professionals amongst you to draw your own conclusions. Who knows it might even be of help.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Balcony Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.