UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss bare plaster board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

andrew pedley

Hi guys ... I first need to say what a site ! all are helpful and friendly and all amazing tilers. A bit of back ground on myself, I am a plasterer living just outside of Cardiff who has a lot of patiences so I can tile to a good standard and good with my hands, the only thing I lack is knowledge and experience but that comes in time. So that's where you come into play !. I need some more advise please.

The job I'm on at the minute is a bathroom tiled over the bath to the ceiling which I've skimmed. I know from experience taking the tiles of the pb is going to smash them up and the owner told me when the tiler tiled it last he had to patch the pb at the top of the bath must of been water damage.
question is what to I replace the plaster boards with ? moisture resistance boards ? or something different ? and what are the price ?

Also where there is just painted walls can I just go ahead at tile straight onto them.

Thanks for all your help ............ Andrew.

D

Deleted member 9966

Hi & welcome, stick up m/r plasterboard & tank it with a Mapei or Bal waterproofing kit.

Strip off the old paint on the other walls also.

You will get plenty of advice on here mate.

Andrew, as Robson says, get rid of as much paint off the walls as you can. A steam wallpaper stripper might work if the paint is amenable. Personally I've used a sander to sand off the layers of paint. Once you get as much paint off as you can, get a suitable primer to prime the areas for tiling.

I

Ian

the floor is just normal floor boards and its fine no deflections to worry about. as for using 15mm ply then 10mm tiles and then 10mm of adhesive 35mm step into the bath I dont think they will go for that. what about the walls with paint on them can I score them and tile them ?

The adhesive will compress down to 3/4mm if you use a 10mm notched trowel. If the floor is deflection free, do as Whitebeam has suggested, then your total floor height will be around 22mm.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
good, a fellow plasterer to fight my battles with these blinkin tilers(only joking lads and lasses)

all advice good above,apart from the marine ply on walls,imo its no good.
ive have learnt a lot coming on here,although ive been tiling a fair few years as well as plastering,and these men and women make your standard of work go that one notch higher to keep up with there's.

right,crawling over with,off to tile a bathroom in ikkle brick tiles

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to bare plaster board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
D
Budget renovation as I just bought the flat. Cavity brick walls, 1 external. Removed old tiles...
Replies
Views
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.