UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Basalt tiles - grease spots in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

technodad

Hi folks.

I have an ongoing saga with some basalt tiles. We had a kitchen floor tiled with them, and i fear not enough sealer was applied - sealer used was LTP mattstone H20. The floor is 20 m2 and reading the back of the bottle, high porosity floor should take up to 4L of sealer for every 10m2 which would of course make 8L...i think we got through maybe 2-3L. it felt like a lot at the time. but i guess it wasnt enough because grease spots are appearing on tiles every time there is a minor spillage. Which suggests they are not sealed enough.

My question is: is there any chance of removing the grease spots using eg phosphoric acid? this would also remove the sealear and we'd need to start again i guess. or do i just live with existing grease spots and seal them in...hopefully preventing further damage in future?

One answer is just to try it on a corner and see what happens...was just wondering if anyone had experience of this before i waste lots of elbow grease. IS a super-porous sealed basalt tile really any use for a kitchen? should the sealer repel the usual kitchen grease spots?

I now HATE basalt, incidentally. so would be happy to rip it all up and replace it with something easy to maintain. sadly a) we have spent all our money and b)missus still has a bizarre fondness for them

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Basalt tiles - grease spots in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I was hoping for some advice. I have large white tiles in my kitchen who a friend laid. I was...
Replies
Views
Hi, We currently have travertine floor tiles with wet UFH underneath. Some of the tiles have...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.