UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Basalt Tiles or Diabas Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stone Store UK

Hi All,
Is anyone used Diabas stone in UK at all. Diabas is same as basalt volcanic stone but formed under Ocean sea bed volcanic activity. I visited the quarry, Interesting thing about it is , very very hard wearing stone at all and water absorption is almost nothing. I just wanted to know before we buy them for the project that we are going to tile. Is any one used and have they come a cross with any problem.

Thanks

Stone Store UK

S

Stone Store UK

Dear Topshop,
Thanks for your email and advise, I heard about basals. They are generally troubled kind of stone. I had a look on Google search engine for images that shows basalt rock, also looked for diabase rock. They are different formation then each other but both of the stone are volcanic.
I ordered some samples to send out to us. we will try it for acit reaction and also see what is happening with the adhesive. After that I will share the result in here with you guys.

This is the info that I had about Diabase stone.
Diabase,
also called Dolerite, fine- to medium-grained, dark gray to black intrusive igneous rock.i It is extremely hard and tough and is commonly quarried forcrushed stone, under the name of trap. Although not popular, it makes an excellent monumental stone and is one of the dark-coloured rocks commercially known as black granite. Diabase is widespread and occurs in dikes (tabular bodies inserted in fissures), sills (tabular bodies inserted while molten between other rocks), and other relatively small, shallow bodies. Chemically and mineralogically, diabase closely resembles the volcanic rock basalt, but it is somewhat coarser and contains glass. With increase in grain size, diabase may pass into gabbro.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Basalt Tiles or Diabas Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Mapei UK Marketing submitted a new resource: Mapei Trade Day - Tile Depot, Merton - Special...
Replies
Views
O
    • Informative
    • Winner
so I'm currently undertaking a project at the moment with 1800 x 800 x 10mm Florim porcelain...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
  • Article
If you've been on any of the Goldtrowel Tiling Courses then please leave feedback and reviews in...
Replies
Views
T
Hi folks. I have an ongoing saga with some basalt tiles. We had a kitchen floor tiled with...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.