UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Basics of the tax system in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Basics of the tax system

dg_4018509.jpg

HM Revenue & Customs collects tax to pay for public services. Each year the Chancellor's Budget sets out how much it'll cost to provide these services and how much tax is needed to pay for them. Key taxes that individuals may have to pay include: Income Tax, Capital Gains Tax, Inheritance Tax, Stamp Duty, Value Added Tax and certain other duties.

The different types of tax

Income Tax on earnings, pensions and benefits

You pay Income Tax on:
  • your wages if you're employed
  • the profits from your business if you're self-employed
  • your State Pension and any private pensions
  • some benefits like Jobseeker's Allowance, Carer's Allowance and Incapacity Benefit

As well as paying Income Tax on your wages and on income from self-employment, you also have to pay National Insurance contributions (NICs).
  • [DLMURL="http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&siteId=en&ssTargetNodeId=259&ssDocName=DG_4015566"]More on Income Tax[/DLMURL]
  • More on National Insurance
Income Tax on savings and investments

You pay Income Tax on most of the income you get from your savings and investments. This includes:
  • bank and building society interest
  • dividends from shares
  • rents from any investment properties you own

Tax on certain types of transaction

You may have to pay tax when you buy or sell things or give them away, for example:
  • Capital Gains Tax if you sell or give away assets
  • Stamp Duty when you buy property or shares
  • Inheritance Tax on your estate when you die, including some gifts made up to seven years beforehand

Tax on goods and services

When you buy goods and services, there are various taxes you may have to pay, like:
  • Value Added Tax (VAT) on many everyday purchases
  • Fuel Duty on petrol, diesel and LPG
  • Excise Duty on alcohol and tobacco
  • General Betting Duty

How the tax you have to pay is worked out and collected

Income Tax and National Insurance contributions (NICs)

You get a tax-free personal allowance and then you pay Income Tax on anything over this. The more you earn, the higher the amount of tax you pay.
The amount of National Insurance you pay also depends on how much you earn.
If you're an employee, your employer operates Pay As You Earn (PAYE) and deducts tax and NICs from your wages. If you're self-employed you'll be responsible for paying your own tax and NICs and filling in your Self-Assessment tax returns.

Savings interest and dividends

Bank and building society interest and dividends are usually 'taxed at source' (meaning tax is deducted before they're paid to you).

Capital Gains Tax

You get a special tax-free allowance for capital gains and you only pay Capital Gains Tax on anything over this.
You pay Capital Gains Tax all in one go through Self-Assessment.

VAT and other duties

Other taxes, like VAT and the duties on fuel, alcohol, tobacco and betting are charged at flat rates and are added to the price you pay for the goods or services.

More useful links

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Here you go pete...here your xmas box...lol lol lol.....

Why do I have to Pay Taxes? (html)

The following is the html text version of the pdf trifold brochure of the "Why Do I have to Pay Taxes?"
What about those who do not believe they have to pay taxes?
There have always been individuals who, for a variety of reasons, argue various taxes are illegal. They use false, misleading, or unorthodox tax advice to gain followers. The courts have repeatedly rejected their rguments as frivolous and routinely impose financial penalties for raising such frivolous arguments. Take the time to learn the truth about frivolous tax arguments and more about recent criminal prosecutions at the following web sites:
THE TRUTH ABOUT FRIVOLOUS TAX
ARGUMENTS
(http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/friv_tax.pdf)
● THE NONFILER WEB SITE
(http://www.irs.gov/ keyword: fraud)
The promoters of this tax advice often charge hefty fees or
commissions to subscribe to their philosophies.
Unfortunately, in the end, you may pay more in penalties,
interest, and legal fees for following their bad advice. Their
philosophies have led to the financial ruin of innocent
taxpayers deceived by false information. Believe it or not –
a number of individuals who market these ideas actually
pay taxes.​

The IRS has focused its efforts against willful
nonfilers and noncompliance
schemes by adopting
a twofold approach:
1. Assist taxpayers to correct their filing status
and comply with the tax law.
2. Vigorously apply both civil and criminal sanctions against individuals who
persist in violating the tax law.​

G

grumpygrouter

The b*****s fined me £100 today because my bookkeeper and accountant forgot to send some stupid form in by November 31st what am paying them for :mad2:
I'd be interested to know what form they omitted to send in by end of November Pete, was something seriously late? To be fined by the revenue is usually something that happens after a warning or two that has been ignored.:whatchutalkingabout

Grumpy

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Basics of the tax system in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

M
I've been self employed since September I was told to pay class 2 of which I do by direct debit...
Replies
Views
Peter
P
D
Have you been hit with the new higher rate of tax or just benefit from the higher amount you can...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
Just been reading about Jimmy Carr and the likes (apparently there are thousands of them) who...
Replies
Views
M
hi i have.been.self employed for around 6yrs now. does anyone know a way you can pay as you earn...
Replies
Views
steve187
S
R
Could you help young people learn skills for employment in construction? PT TUTOR to teach a...
Replies
Views
Rebecca Bowden
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.