Discuss Bathroom floor advice please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

davemul

Evening all

Our bathroom (that I am gutting) has floorboards, some sort of 6mm board nailed to them and some rank lino. There is movement in the floor, probably the old knackered floorboards (house is an OLD cottage)

Can I take the floorboards up completely and replace with 18mm plywood to establish a firm base. I will be inserting a wetroom tray directly to the joists and then tanking and tiling the floor.

to totally waterproof the floor, would 18mm ply, tanking then tiling do the job?

thanks

Dave

I

Ian

When you take the floor up check the condition of the joists firstly, if they are sound add some extra noggins for strength, then lay 25mm ply if you can afford the extra height. I'd also overboard the ply with a 6mm cement backer board to give a more suitable surface to tile to. Getting rid of the deflection is essential to ensure your floor will last years not months. Hope this helps. Bri

D

DHTiling

25mm is the better option but if the joists are able to support he weight and you noggin it out then 18mm will suffice.. 22mm tray onto joists .. so 18mm ply and 3mm membrane/addy will bring up the height to tray height.. Marmox shower stone is a great option from PHG..

Make sure you gets Arms access for a better deal.. http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/7477-wheres-door-tilers-forums-arms.html

D

davemul

Sorry to sound like a broken record.....

So.. marmox showerstone in the corner of bathroom, direct to joists. Plywood around this and for the rest of the bathroom floor.

Some form of tile backer board to bring up the height to tray.

tanking tape over the join from tray to boards (and obviously corner and wall joins. Will probably board the walls with marmox too and paint on a tanking solution

thats all i need to do to waterproof before tiling?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom floor advice please in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20...
Replies
Views
Hi, DIY home owner here in need of advice. Following a waste pipe leak that's now been fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello, i hope someone can give me some advice please. I’m planning on tiling our bathroom walls...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just about to get going on bathroom reno and would very much appreciate if you could...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB