Discuss Bathroom floor failure. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

stoner

Hi,

Went to look at a job last night. Suspended bathroom floor, poly pipe ufh overboarded with chipboard:thumbsdown: and tiled with a 2 part addy. Builder must have known what he was doing was wrong hence the 2 part. Floor has been down 18 months and it's a right off. Advised customer it would need to be ripped up but unfortunately the chipboard can't be removed without taking bath etc out first, something they're not keen to do, (it's an old ladies house). It's difficult to judge the rigidness of the floor as the tiles are moving underfoot. What can be done if anything to rectify this?

My initial thoughts were remove tiles and if no movement in floor, acrylic prime, ditra mat and 1 part addy but I'm not too sure tbh. Can it be sorted or better left alone?

Please help

P

philipb

I don't want to cut through the chipboard as I can't see whats underneath. No telling what builder might have done having seen his tiling.
You will have to cut the floor,did a similar job recently,set my power saw to 18.5mm deep cut,cut floor,and snap the board off.
The 19mm chipboard snapped ok,there may be aluminium sheet underneath,its used to spread the heat from the pipes.
Replace with 24mm ply,put extra support in if required and fit decouple matt,tile as normal with your usual flexi addy.
The ply is also better for the heat transfer.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom floor failure. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
I am a part-time handyman - have done floor tiling before and small areas of wall tiling but...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone! I am desperately trying to come up with an idea how to repair bathroom and...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB