Discuss Bathroom floor laid by back buttering tiles. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I went to see a floor yesterday. It was laid about 10 years ago in a bathroom over ply. The toilet recently had a leak and was changed, along with the basin/pedestal. Whilst the toilet was being changed the floor tiles started popping up and now 9 of them have come away from the ply. It looks like the tiles were laid by back buttering, and no primer used. All the other tiles in the room have a hollow sound when tapped. The customer only wants the 9 tiles replaced (they have 9 spares!). There are some awful cuts around the toilet and pedestal (slithers).

Of course I have advised on a complete replacement of the tiled floor, but customer is not having any of it.

Basically, there is no adhesive under any tile. It looks like they have been back buttered and just laid on the floor. The only thing holding them together is the grout.

I will be giving the customer 2 quotes, one for a non guaranteed patchup and another for a proper retile. However, If I were to use the correct trowel and tiling methods on the patchup job then all 9 tiles will be standing proud of the others by about 3mm.

Are there any glues on the market that are really sticky? The tiles are porcelain. I was thinking of going down the no more nails route.

Remember, the customer have been advised that sticking the 9 tiles down by this method is totally unacceptable.

Any thoughts/suggestions please.

If the floor has got wet you might find it a bigger job trying to repair than replace.
this was a toilet I had wich had a small leak and a few tiles had poped.
1.jpg 3.jpg 7.jpg 13.jpg

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I'd have to agree with above.. Walk. What are your repair options? Gripfill, or silicone? :-/

Thanks Beanz I'll go for gripfill.

I guess I always knew the answer to my own question. Will have to tell the customer again in my quote. I was probably just wishing that a spray on tile adhesive had been invented in the last few days - I guess not.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Thanks Beanz I'll go for gripfill.

I guess I always knew the answer to my own question. Will have to tell the customer again in my quote. I was probably just wishing that a spray on tile adhesive had been invented in the last few days - I guess not.

That wasn't a suggestion! My only suggestion here is total rip-out, or let someone else have it... ANSI don't often give work away lol

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
That wasn't a suggestion!

Yea Beanz I know!

I just did a quote for the rip out. Have not heard from them, and probably never will.
I do not know what came over me, even asking the question to you guys/girls. I think customer was looking for a £50 solution to a £400 problem.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom floor laid by back buttering tiles. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB