Discuss Bathroom Help, Lots of Questions? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stoobydale

Hi, I have a lot of questions that probably cross a few forums so hope it's ok to ask them all here.
I have removed the tiles from my bathroom and as a result have had to renew 3 walls as behind the tiles it was lath and plaster and it all came away. I have purchased 10mm Marmox board and am in the middle of putting this up now. I have screwed CLS timbers to the original frame work to get a pretty good/flat frame for the marmox. I have also purchased Hardi backer boards for the floor which will go over floorboards that are in good condition. I have chosen the tiles that I want, Zamora glazed porcelain 600x200 for the walls and 300x300 for the floor. Now for the questions. (think the tiles are 9mm thick)

1, Adhesive, I have read the forum until my head hurts, could someone please tell me what to buy for the floor and wall (the tiles are coming from Topps tiles, could buy from there if they sell good stuff, although if it is cheaper to buy elsewhere not a problem)

2, What size trowels should I buy?

3, I have a tile cutter that I bought a long time ago from Machine mart. I think I tried to cut porcelain tiles with it once before and it was not man enough. Is there anything on the market for £50-60 that will do the job or should I hire one?

4, Hole cutting, similar to above, I saw a kit advertised on the forum for a bathroom set £50ish was thinking of buying and possibly selling after. Good idea or not?

5, The bathroom was only half tiled before and I plan to fully tile. The top half of the wall has being painted (brick plaster substrate) what is the best way to prepare? Could I just score the surface?

Thanks in advance for any answers. Don't think I have remembered all the questions but that should keep me going.

S

Stoobydale

6: Hire a tiler?
No way Jose. I will get a lot of satisfaction from doing this job well.:wink5: Have never come up against a job that has been too much for me but have hired in help before and had to re-do what they were allegedly experts at.

1: single part flexible adhesive
any particular make and product to recommend?
Ps Check weights of tiles per square meter to see if substrate can take weight!
Do you suspect that there might be a problem with the thickness of the Marmox board that I have bought?

Cheers,
Stu.

S

Stoobydale

no offence Stoobydale but u need to be a expert to do a proper job. it is better to get a tiler and save yourself a lot of hassle. a lot of good tilers on here btw.
oh and welcome to TF:thumbsup:

No offence taken Radim. I havent had anyone round to quote for the job so I don't know how much it would save, if anything at all. My thoughts were, that because I had to redo the walls with the backer board the surface would be so flat that the job would be relatively easy. I might just get someone round to see what it would cost though. Like most people today, funds are quite limited but it might not be the place to save money. If I do, do a crap job it would bug me everytime I went into the room.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom Help, Lots of Questions? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB