Discuss bathroom nightmare. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

jackson

Hi

This is my first post. So bear with me if it's a bit long winded. I am not a pro tiler just a diyer. I live in a small flat so only one bathroom. The bathroom is already tiled with 5" * 5" ceramic tiles which are solid to the wall (I put them up 10 years ago) A couple of years ago I painted them with tile paint(Big mistake!) because I thought they would be a problem to get off. So now I want to put 10" * 14" inch tiles up but the tiles are welded to the wall and when I tried to remove them I nearly ended up in my neighbours bedroom as most of the plasterboard came away with the one tile I managed to remove!:grin: The last two hours I have spent trying to remove the tile paint but going nowhere fast. Removing the tiles is not an option as it would take too long to put the room back together(its my only bathroom). Is there an easy way of removing tile paint and what do I use to score the shiny tiles underneath to give me a key for my adhesive?

Thanks in advance

Jackson

G

grumpygrouter

You may be quicker tearing down the plasterboard, complete with tiles and re-boarding. Doesn't take as long as you think. At least if you have fresh board up, it (the bathroom) will be useable to a certain extent. You will then have an excellent surface to retile on to. Mind you, looking at the size of tiles are they ceramic or porcelain or stone? Don't want to overload the plasterboard!

Grumpy

PS welcome to the forums.:thumbsup:

J

jackson

Hi

Thanks for all the quick replies. Sounds a little scary for a newbie:eek6:.How do I take the wall down without ending up in the neighbours? Do I just attack the wall with a hammer? How much noise does it make ? Do i need to replace it with special plasterboard? Sorry for all the questions. It sounds like good advice but do I need special tools to accomplish it? How long would/should it take me?

Cheers

Jackson.

D

DHTiling

Hi

Thanks for all the quick replies. Sounds a little scary for a newbie:eek6:.How do I take the wall down without ending up in the neighbours? Do I just attack the wall with a hammer? How much noise does it make ? Do i need to replace it with special plasterboard? Sorry for all the questions. It sounds like good advice but do I need special tools to accomplish it? How long would/should it take me?

Cheers

Jackson.

i know it might be easy for us to advise this measure..but if you are not competent to do it..then just sand the paint off... wash the tiles down with sugar soap and then tile with a flexible adhesive.....:thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

Hi

Should have said the tiles I am laying are ceramic and are 25cm*35cm*8mm. The plasterboard will hold that surely?

Cheers

Jackson.
Yes you should be fine with those. They are getting to the limits of using tub adhesive though for drying. If you decide to tile over the tiles (after repairing your damaged bit of course) you must also consider the weight of the tiles already on the wall which must be added to the ones you are going to fit. Plasterboard walls will support up to 32kg/m2. I would recommend, as Dave said earlier (he's the MAN!), that you use a cement based flexy adhesive, with a flexible grout.

Grumpy

G

grumpygrouter

If you want to take it down and start again, basically (obvious bit this) make sure you have removed the sink and toilet etc. Whack a hole into the wall (I think you have done that already if I recall) and get your hands in and pull the board away from the studs. You might need the help if a bar or jemmy of some sort if it is tight, work gloves help too!. You should find it comes away reasonably easy. Once it is all down and you have tidied up a bit, you will need to remove all the nails from the studs.

After that it is just a case of putting up your new boards. it is pretty straight forward and I am sure you will realise how easy it is once you start. it may be a good idea to check your studs are in line before refitting the boards to ensure your new surface for tiling is flat. I screw the new boards on with drywall screws but you can nail with galvanised clout nails if you wish.

Grumpy

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to bathroom nightmare. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB