Discuss Bathroom project, (only tiled once before) in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

ronaldbiggs

Hi Guys/Gals

Firstly let me congratulate you on an excellent forum, after reading through this forum for several nights I have joined to gain experience with my bathroom project.

I am tiling my bathroom floor (think its straight on to ply) the floor will not cause me too much trouble, except knowing what adhesive and grout to use. My tiles are graphite colour so I would like to use dark grout. Any thoughts on what would be best to use, am also fitting a new sink and toilet so will be drilling through the new tiles I assume I can buy the correct drill bits through tradetiler.

I also need to re-tile my bathroom it is 15sq mtrs, the bathroom has been tiled before but even I could have done a better job with my eyes closed, it is very bad in places.

The easiest thing for me to do would be to tile over the existing tiles they are 20x20 (mosiac look but a solid tile), is this fesiable to go over the top, my new tiles are from the Grosvenor collection and are 331x248x7mm. I have been told t use PVA with a bit of sand to give the old tiles some grip before I put the new tiles up ... does this sound right ?, again any recomendations on adhesive and once again I would be looking at using a dark grout.

I would then have to replace architrave and skirting boards.

I am also going to buy a wet tile cutter and was going to get the Plasplugs master tiler from what I have read this appears to be o.k. but any thought on this would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer

Regards

Ron

D

david campbell

firstly if you are tiling onto ply you will need a flexible adhesive and grout,if your tiles are graphite there are several colours of grey or a pebble colour that bal do,there is a wider range by mapei but i'm not up to speed with it so you could maybe nip into your local ctd and have a look,best to remove the old tiles instead of tiling over them as the weight may become an issue with this,its not good practice especially if they do need removed later on!the plasplugs master wet cutter is an excellent choice for diy projects also!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

marc1106

Thanks for the reply

If I remove all the old tiles this will be 3 out of the 4 walls with plasterboard, I assume that I will need to replace t he plasterboard then get it skimmed. Possible result will be too expensive. I would like to remove it all but am tied to a budget

remove all the tiles and plasterboard, then reboard leave the plasterboard bare as this will give you a stronger base for tiling onto again! :45:

D

dts

I wouldn't bother doing the joints or beading if you have a 3mm plus gap fill with addy and smooth off or you could get board addy and fill up with that only £6 a bag sets like concrete so wont break the bank. Try and keep the boards off the floor when fixing to stud work use tile spacers or tile pieces to rest board on then screw to studs.

Dont forget to post some pics :dizzy2:

Reply to Bathroom project, (only tiled once before) in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB