Discuss Bathroom referb with Wetroom shower, good tanking approach? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

JonathonAdler

Hi All.

I just wanted to start by saying I have read hundreds of posts and find this forum an amazing source of information. So, thank you all!

I am about to renovate an existing bathroom and put in a wetroom shower area. We are quite nervous about leaking, broken grout etc. I have seen a number of tanking options out there, and I was thinking of incorporating 2 as an extra level of protection. I am crazy? Too much?

The room has chipboard flooring currently. The plan is to replace this with 18mm ply, then lay 10mm Marmox over this (adhesive layer in between, then fixed with screws/washers). The walls are studs and block work. I was thinking 20mm Marmox all round. Plastic dowels for fixing to the block, screws/washers for the studs. I like the sounds of Marmox because it insulates (both sound and heat) and it is waterproof. After floor and walls are fixed, tape over joins/seams etc with waterproof tape.

I am then intending on tanking with Dural Durbase CI+ membrane.

We are thinking of electric underfloor heating and marble tiles.

I haven't chosen a shower tray former yet, but this probably doesn't change anything.

Any opinions on this approach would be greatfully appreciated.

Regards,
Jonathon.

D

DHTiling

Hi Jonathon..

Marmox boards are great...

I agree on the removal of the chipboard , this will give you chance to add some extra noggings to the joists to receive board edges etc.

Then you can SBR prime the underside and edges of the new ply sub-floor, then as you say overboard with 10mm marmox, now marmox do say you can overlay onto timber with no fixings but i like you prefer to add fixings over timber floors..

What you could do is screw down as you say and then lay your UFH, slc over this to create a nice flat bed and then tank with Dural CI+ to create that tanked floor and help with eliminating stress to the marble... seen as you are using marble then again use the Marmox on the walls and fix as you say, then use the marmox self adhesive tape to cover the joints and fixings and internal joints to corners and floor/wall transitions.

If you click the link in my signature and talk to David at PHG Wetrooms, he can supply all your material needs and chat to y ou about your tray requirements...

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

D

DHTiling

Hi..

The purpose of the sbr to stabilise the ply from any air moisture within the cavity of the joists etc...

Marmox... yes if you tape the fixings and joints properly then you will have no probs but if you really want peace of mind then use the Dural WP as well...

Corners... pre-formed are great and not a bad price either but yes you cam make yo ur own.. i have done may times but peace of mind, then use pre-formed..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom referb with Wetroom shower, good tanking approach? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I am doing a shower tile installation on mold-resistant drywall and I am waterproofing with...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB