Discuss bathroom refit in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

janemac

our bathroom is very small, square sized 2 x 2m - just room for a bath/shower, sink and toilet.
we are having a stud wall built between the bath and wall to cover some boiler pipes which run down the wall.
our fitter is using 12mm hardwood plywood for the stud wall and bal waterproof adhesive...is this best? i have heard about aquaboard/aquapanel instead...please can someone tell me the merits of both. our fitter says if water gets through the plywood it maintains its strength as opposed to plasterboard which would break down eventually.
he is also using some pre-soldered pipes and has shown us a receipt for approx £160 worth of plumbing materials because he says he has to give us new fittings as it was an old bathroom. is this right or does it seem excessive??
in all , he says the material costs will be about £500 (for rebonding and plastering most of the walls and ceilings, tiling adhesives and grouts etc, stud wall materials and pipe work)...does this seem about right or too much?
appreciate some sound advice. Thanks

C

CON5933

Hi Janemac,:welcome:to the forum.
It's very difficult to say what is and isn't expensive.
is he boarding out the wall then tiling it...? How many pipes is he changing? what lengths? Joints etc...? is he stripping all the pipes and renewing?
When you say 'boiler pipes'...where's the boiler...
how much plastering is he doing? is he then tiling the plastered walls? (bare in mind there's a time issue with drying plaster)
How much adhesive and grout...what type of adhesive and grout..

Personally, i wouldn't use ply, i would use a cement board such as aqua panel or hardi backer..
pictures might help:thumbsup:

W

White Room

our bathroom is very small, square sized 2 x 2m - just room for a bath/shower, sink and toilet.
we are having a stud wall built between the bath and wall to cover some boiler pipes which run down the wall.
our fitter is using 12mm hardwood plywood for the stud wall and bal waterproof adhesive...is this best? i have heard about aquaboard/aquapanel instead...please can someone tell me the merits of both. our fitter says if water gets through the plywood it maintains its strength as opposed to plasterboard which would break down

Not true, hardie would be the better option.

eventually.
he is also using some pre-soldered pipes and has shown us a receipt for approx £160 worth of plumbing materials because he says he has to give us new fittings as it was an old bathroom. is this right or does it seem excessive??
in all , he says the material costs will be about £500 (for rebonding and plastering most of the walls and ceilings, tiling adhesives and grouts

Whats on the walls at the moment for them to be bonded and finish

etc, stud wall materials and pipe work)...does this seem about right or too much?
appreciate some sound advice. Thanks

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to bathroom refit in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello, i hope someone can give me some advice please. I’m planning on tiling our bathroom walls...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB