Discuss Bathroom refit in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

E

Edinaberdeen

Hi, I am planning to renovate my bathroom and I am after any tips or guidance.
I know its going to be a big job but I am looking forward to giving most things a try though I will get someone to do some parts. The plan is to strip the lathe and plaster back to the stud/rafters and change sink, toilet and bath with shower screen.
Its going to have travertine tile on the floor and ceramic on all of the walls. I would also like electric underfloor heating.
I have the sink, toilet, bath with screen, taps and tiles. I am going to reuse current shower attachment which is mains pressure from a combi boiler.
The roof above the bath follows the rafters on a 45 degree slope, its about 2x1m.
I am planning hardiebacker 500 on the wall with the sloping roof and the ajoining wall around the bath which also has the toilet. Also thinking about homelux membrane over the hardiebacker in the shower area. Gyproc MR on the other walls and ceiling.
The floorboards seem solid so far (still mostly covered with laminate)but aren't perfectly flat.
I see my options being sand the boards down a bit, lay thin ply or take the boards up and lay 22mm ply.
Then 10mm Marmox insulation board and underfloor heating before tiling with 457mm sq 12mm travertine.
After speaking to Marmox they suggested I could use it around the bath instead of hardiebacker.
Is this a good idea with for hanging 36x27 9mm ceramic tiles on a 45 degree slope?
The tiles are about 16kg /m2 which is well below the 60 kg /m2 limit
Thanks Ed

E

Edinaberdeen

Thanks for the help, I am looking at getting Durabase CI.

We have travertine because it looked nice in the shop, been acumulating bits over the past few months.

The bathroom is a little under 6 m2 including bath, so around 5 m2 of floor to tile.

22mm ply
10mm marmox
5mm slc with ufh
C2 adhesive
3mm Decoupling membrane
flexible adhesive
12mm travertine tile

60mm total?

If I wanted to reduce the height to maybe 50mm would it be better to:

Use 18mm instead of 22mm ply with noggins every 300mm
6mm marmox instead of 10mm

or get something like ditra eheat instead?

Thanks Ed

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom refit in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
Just had following work done: downstairs toilet - replaced toilet and sink and tiled the floor...
Replies
Views
Hi all, have tiled small areas before but trying to create a wetroom.. I have read a lot of...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB